1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Leach to The "U" ?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

My own theory but think if Randy Shannon falters it's only a matter of time before Leach becomes the next Miami HC. It's a natural. Leach is already down there in Key West.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Of course he is. Where else would a pirate be?

3. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

ARRRRRR-kansas???

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

BOOOOOOO

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Shannon has brought that program back from the dead, he is incredibly well liked and respected, and Miami is the best team in the ACC; I say that even after what Ohio State did to them. Miami has the best chance at an ACC championship, looking at the teams right now.

Why would anyone be anticipating a coaching change? Miami is likely a 9 or 10 win team this year. And even if Shannon did decide to leave, him and Mike Leach could not be more different -- in terms of backgrounds, personalities and coaching styles. After where Shannon has brought that program, I don't see why they would want to step into the circus Mike Leach brings with him.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Somalia?

7. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Thank you very little.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

One other thing. Miami attracts some of the best talent in the country and probably will continue to because of the "U" reputation and the fact that it is in Miami and Florida is a football-rich state. When they do well in the recruiting battle with Florida, they get some serious players and can pretty much count on always having as much speed as any team in the country.

Leach's success has been in taking programs that get second-tier talent and finding a way to win offensively with those lesser players. His variation of the spread can take a flawed QB and a few decent, but not blazing fast receivers, and exploit weaknesses (even teams that are more physically talented) -- by spreading the field and attacking it with passes all over the place. You could run a spread type offense with the types of players Miami gets, but an Urban Meyer type of spread-option would make a lot more sense with the kind of players Miami traditionally gets. A run first orientation, a mobile, stunting offensive line. A QB who is mobile. I could see Chip Kelly coaching there. But not really Leach, with those types of players.

The pro style offense Miami runs really suits what they have. Even though I have always had more respect for Leach as an offensive coach than a lot of people do, Mark Whipple has done a great job there and has been pretty perfect for the job. He is one of the most underrated coaches in football.

9. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Shannon brought Miami back from the dead? Taking a quick glance at the record book, Miami's had two losing seasons since 1980 and one of them was under Shannon.

10. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Man, I wouldn't hire Leach for that gig and I don't think Donna would sign off on it.

Shannon? Good player in his day. Solid D-coordinator.

Head coach? Just OK and given the talent base at his disposal probably less than OK.

He needs to recruit some O-linemen, or get a better O-line coach, and find a QB with some toughness.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

If by U you mean what Minnesotans call the U, then yes, please. And no program gets more second - and third and fourth - tier talent than Minnesota. Would love Leach whenever Brewster is finally put out of his misery. I realize it's a longshot, though. Instead the Gophers will again scour the ranks of NFL tight end coaches.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Miami won't fire Shannon.

Leach will be coaching next season, but not at a powerhouse like Miami. Right now, Colorado would seem like the best fit.

Draft saved Draft deleted