1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Leach to Anywhere Running Thread.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 2, 2011.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I agree with Ragu that Leach's pending lawsuits are a bigger factor than many seem to think in his possibly landing a head coaching job for next season. I don't know that a lot of ADs are going to want to touch him as the face of their program until some or all of that situation is resolved.

As for his system, would grade-A QBs really flock to Leach at a new location? They never have before (see Kingsbury, Cumbie, et al). And none of his QBs have gone on to pro success (at least, none that I'm aware of).

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I would term your observation that no one plays the spread outside of Texas to be "uninformed" I would term my observation "fact based"

Have a look at Tony Franklin system web site and note all the teams around country using the spread. http://thetonyfranklinsystem.com/index.php/testimonials

Just to be clear I am not debating talent levels. Clearly CT football is not on par with Texas.

As far as Leach recruiting I would term it more targeted. He knew he could not get most of players that Texas and OK wanted so spin your wheels. He went after kids that could play in his system which by the success he had worked.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The exception was Graham Harrell. Didn't have the size or arm strength to be a pro, but coming out of H.S. he was recruited by some heavyweight schools and chose Texas Tech over the big boys.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

OK. That's fine. I don't know much about CT HS football, except what a good friend who has three sons who went on to play in the ACC tells me. I do know that the spread is prevalent in Texas and it has been for a long while. I also know it has spread (no pun intended) like wildfire throughout High Schools in other states in the last 2 or 3 years. And I do know that CT does not put out players worth a lick -- It's a DIII quality state, and UConn's best players from the region come from Mass.

I also know it would be a disaster at UConn. Just look at UConn's roster. They are hard-nosed, blue collar kinds of players, by and large. They were passed over by other schools and quite a few of them play with a chip on their shoulder. You can argue that the same kind of player went to Texas Tech under Leach, but the third tier players out of Texas (and Florida) are at a whole other level than they are from the Mid-Atlantic states and New England.

Leach would inherit a defensive-minded team without any pieces to run the only strategy he knows. And he will never be able to recruit his system to a place like UConn. Add in the fact that no one is touching him as a head coach and this is just silly. If he wants to coach again, he is going to have to step down to a non-BCS school that takes a chance -- if there are any. Or he is going to have to find an OC job, again, not even a given.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah, and Leach's penchant for saying whatever happens to pop into his head regardless of what it is is also going to cut way down on his marketability.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

ADs are a tight fraternity. I'm guessing he's being blackballed.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've not seen it written but what I think is doing Leach the most damage is not the law suits but his "Fat Little Girls" cookbook.

8. printdust

printdust New Member

I hear the Weather Channel is still negotiating with his agent.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Maybe this is why Leach can't get a job?

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/2011/jan/07/ncaa-says-texas-tech-broke-recruiting-rules-ar-760050/

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He needs to get Ted Williams to lend him his sign.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Interesting story from Stewart Mandel

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/stewart_mandel/01/19/mike.leach/index.html

Draft saved Draft deleted