1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Leach Sues ESPN for Defamation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Nov 24, 2010.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

must of?
    how was your english comp prof?

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I think Leach can prove malicious intent on James's part.

As I recall didn't James say that Leach should be fired for his actions in dealing with injuries and then that's what happened.

Leach could make an argument that because of ESPN's vast influence and with the pack mentality in place he'd then argue that ESPN's other commentators wouldn't diverge from James because of the assumption he had inside information because his son was involved.

It seems pretty simple to connect the dots, assuming James said Leach should be fired.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

If that was his opinion-- that Leach should be fired-- how is that illeagal? Where's the false statement?

And as to the ethics of it, how is that any different than a newsmaker, or person directly involved in a news story, writing an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal?

Folks, I know everybody loves to get on ESPN, but can we please remember the First Amendment?

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

We spent more time on local color I guess.

5. CRR13

CRR13 Member

I doubt that Leach will win his suit. Unless there is clear evidence of libel or slander, these cases usually fall apart. Simply saying that someone should be fired, at least in my opinion, doesn't fall under that category. However, ESPN should have taken James off of the story given the fact that his son was the player in question.

6. 93Devil

I agree, but the way the business is set up now you just cannot have Lou Holtz keep quiet while ECU clips roll.

7. CRR13

CRR13 Member

I understand your point, but I personally believe that a coach analyzing his former team is different than having a father covering his son's alleged abuse by his coach.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have no idea if this is part of the lawsuit, but apparently James has been bashing Leach to ADs who might be interested in hiring him.

9. 93Devil

Now there is something, Mizzou, that you can bust a person's ass over.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, if Leach can prove it.

Which also brings up the point: How stupid would you have to be, as an athletic director, to call James for an opinion on Leach? What the hell would you expect him to say?

And if, after all that has already happened, James is going around offering opinions (solicited or not) on Leach to pretty much anybody, ESPN should fire him within micro-milliseconds.

11. Mizzougrad96

The rumor, emphasis on rumor, is that James has badmouthed Leach to the Colorado and Minnesota ADs.

12. Mizzougrad96

I think the mere fact that Leach didn't interview for either the CU or Minnesota job is suspicious since he would appear to be a better candidate than any of the other names mentioned for either gig.

Draft saved Draft deleted