1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Leach or Bruce Pearl? (Moved From Anything Goes)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 22, 2011.

?

Who gets a new gig first?

1. Bruce Pearl

43.5%
  2. Mike Leach

56.5%
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I said this on the other thread. As great as he might be on TV, if he has a show cause against him, I don't think ESPN can hire him.

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Is is that ESPN can't hire him or won't hire him? How can an NCAA sanction carry any weight outside of an NCAA school?

3. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Pearl is a pariah coach much like Kelvin Sampson, but I guarantee that some C-USA school would love to have him, especially since it is the Conference (Island) of Misfit (Toys) Coaches. See Floyd, Tim. See Eustachy, Larry. See Doherty, Matt. But maybe his long history of skirting/breaking NCAA rules and crying when caught might render him untouchable.

I'm still not certain about he said/James said of the Mike Leach fiasco. The whole thing stinks to high heaven. It's a shame, because Leach is an offensive genius and an interesting fellow. If C-USA took Mike Price after he found his Destiny in a strip club....

4. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I said this on another Leach thread, but I think that given the amount of coverage that concussions are getting in all sports right now, schools are going to tread very lightly around Leach — even if they think his issue was overblown (which I don't). No matter where he goes, that story surfaces again and again, even it's for Leach to say he's changed or he understands concussions now or whatever. You want your kid playing for him? Maybe. What if he gets hurt (concussion or otherwise)?

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

When I saw the thread title, I thought the poll question was going to be, "Who'd you rather?"

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

To me, there seems to be no reliable way to predict this. College sports are rife with coaches that have checkered pasts. I guess the real question is what is the unpardonable sin? Jackie Sherrill kept getting jobs. Jim Harrick didn't. Maybe both of them wind up in Division II. Maybe some NFL team takes a lark on Leach as an OC. Maybe they both go teach and coach in high school. Or NAIA.

Forced to choose, I'd guess Leach, assuming his lawsuit finishes before Pearl gets hired. But it's a wild guess.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My guess is that Leach won't lower himself to D II or HS or NAIA. He thinks he is a D-I coach. He is hampered in transitioning to the NFL, because he is one-trick spread guy, and a passing spread offense at that, and no NFL head coach is going to rest his fortunes on that. That spread the field and overwhelm unprepared defenses philosophy can't work the same in the NFL, where the players are much better prepared, the defenses are more sophisticated and the players in those systems are faster and able to blanket a field. So for Leach to go the NFL, he'd have to show the ability to be adaptable, and while I can't say he doesn't have that ability, he has never had to. Because if he can't adapt, there isn't a defensive coordinator in the NFL that won't have the upper hand on him.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Yes, the thinks he's a D-I coach. But if no school will hire him, he's still got to eat. He'll do something. Course, he could just stick with TV. As far as the NFL, well, I threw that in there to support the larger point that we really have no idea where he'll wind up. Your point about adaptability is right on.

9. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Kelvin Sampson is an assistant coach in the NBA. If anything, Tom Crean is the one who got punished for Sampson's misdeeds.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I still find it shocking that Colorado, Maryland and Miami all passed on Leach.

Maybe KState will come calling after Uncle Bill retires in a year or two.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The guy is suing his former employer and you can't figure out why no one will hire him?

Yeah, that's a real mystery, all right ...

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Obviously if ESPN wanted to hire him, it could. It would just look really, really bad, not that that's ever stopped them before.

Draft saved Draft deleted