1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Leach or Bruce Pearl? (Moved From Anything Goes)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 22, 2011.

?

Who gets a new gig first?

1. Bruce Pearl

43.5%
  2. Mike Leach

56.5%
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Both big time coaches with successful track records. Who gets back to the big time first.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Re: Mike Leech or Bruce Pearl ?

Wonder what Mizzou thinks? :)

3. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

Re: Mike Leech or Bruce Pearl ?

I think Mike Leach will get a gig soon. Not sure about Mike Leech.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Re: Mike Leach or Bruce Pearl ?

I'd say Bruce Pearl lands first. All those recent football openings and Leach is still looking.
    With Pearl, I'd be more interested to see if his off-court issues hurt him more or the lopsided loss to Michigan. My guess would be the former.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Pearl's going to get hammered with a two year show-cause by the NCAA.

I think he's going to go to ESPN, become the next Dick Vitale, and remain there forever. He's got waaaay too much baggage and seems more cut out for TV talk.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Leach.

As others have said, it's ok to cheat and it's ok to get caught but it's not ok to be a rat fink and cheat and get caught.

I agree with Tigervols, I think Pearl would be great on TV.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not being upfront = flat-out lying

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Boom loves him some Mike Leach.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

And Bruce Peerl.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's an interesting question because there are a lot more college hoops jobs than there are DI football gigs.

Both are great coaches. I don't think Leach is the douchebag that Pearl is. I guess we'll find out what is worse, being blackballed by the WWL or a two-year show cause.

I think you could justify hiring Leach before you could justify hiring Pearl. Then again, Jim Harrick never got another shot and he was a much better coach than Pearl. Haskins and Bliss have never gotten another college gig. I'll be curious where Sampson lands in about two years.

12. I just don't see that Pearl is all that great for TV. Plus he's going to bring some big-time baggage. How can he report on any controversial topic and be considered authoritative when he's a liar and a cheat, and got caught doing both?

Draft saved Draft deleted