1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Klis leaves Denver Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Apr 23, 2015.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

In a page straight out of the Bob Kravitz playbook, longtime Broncos beat writer at the Denver Post Mike Klis has left the paper after 17 years -- effective immediately -- to become sports columnist with an emphasis on the Broncos at KUSA/9News.

Sports columnist Mike Klis joins 9NEWS

9News has been the ratings leader in the city for 30-some years but probably like me, has seen its ratings and digital share in the market shrink over the past few years, and sought a boost with someone with lots of Broncos/NFL sources, knowledge (the station has a tie-in with the team) and followers (34,200 on Twitter)

And much to the dismay of several viewers, he's not replacing the worst sports anchor in the Mountain time zone.

The backup, Troy Renck, will likely move into the lead spot, especially since I'm told quite reliably there is a hiring freeze across Media News Group, to say nothing the Post/MNG has been on the market for awhile and while there have been rumors a sale is coming/close, nothing has happened.

The last time 9News snagged someone from the Post it was then-deputy sports editor David Krause, who left to become sports executive producer only to go back to the Post as an assistant city editor eight months later.

This is the fourth Broncos writer to bolt the Post in less than three years: Lindsay Jones (to USA Today), Jeff Legwold (to ESPN), Joan Niesen (to Sports Illustrated) and now Klis.

Here's the note from Post editor Greg Moore and sports editor Scott Monserud:

It is with a note of sadness that we report Mike Klis, our Broncos beat reporter, is leaving the Denver Post to join Channel 9 in a sports reporting role, focusing primarily on the Broncos. During his 17 years here, Mike has excelled. He has won numerous APSE national writing honors since he's been on the Broncos beat and is one of the hardest working journalists we've ever known. Mike covered the Colorado Rockies when he first joined the newspaper. Mike loves The Post, but at this stage of his career it was enticing to take on this new challenge. He has been an incredible force at The Post and he will be missed. His departure is effective immediately. Please wish him well in his new endeavor.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  2. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

Sorry to hear that Klis is leaving. I heard it about earlier today. And you're right that's it too bad he's not replacing you know who at 9News.

The Post did just fill one position for an online prep reporter. The person who had that job before is staying on board, but doing other things related to sports online, just not the prep beat. The new person, who ironically worked at 9News, starts on Monday. They, however, from what I gathered, didn't fill the enterprise position that was advertised a few months back because of the said hiring freeze.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

So they DID fill that job. I put in for it and never heard boo one from their digital editor. At least someone with ties to Denver got it.

Klis will definitely be missed at the Post, but good to see he landed on his own two feet.

4. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

You guys aren't bobblehead fans???

The preps producer job was filled by a preps producer at 9News. You all are correct about the enterprise job being frozen, I can confirm that.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

One of The Post's best writers that's for sure.

I think there is a hiring freeze. I don't think they ever replaced Adrian Dater.

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

They did not. The plan was to hire the sports enterprise instead of another hockey reporter and have Terry Frei help Chambers with hockey.

7. RecoveringJournalist

They'll hire someone to replace Klis. The Broncos beat it too important to that paper not to have two (or three) top writers on that beat.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I do have to wonder if someone will get promoted from within and create an opening. (I can't think of anyone in particular, just speculating.)

9. RecoveringJournalist

I'd be very surprised if they don't hire someone with NFL experience.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There's definitely a hiring freeze within MNG. Most likely there's movement internally then that position gets frozen.

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

How many people does the Post have on the Broncos? I know it used to be three but not sure if both Jones and Legwold were replaced.

12. RecoveringJournalist

Probably 2 1/2. I'm sure it was Klis, Renck and they probably had someone splitting time between the Broncos and another beat. I think they replaced Lindsay but not Jeff, not 100 percent sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted