1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Huguenin

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Aug 23, 2012.

1. JerryMicco

JerryMicco Member

I don't comment often here unless I really have something to say, but if this is indeed true, Yahoo! just laid off one of the best, hardest-working editors in the business. I was the Sunday Sports editor for a couple of years in Orlando in the late 80s, and Mike was assigned as my copy editor for early Sunday copy. He did that shift, with all the filler, etc., for 100+ column sections (remember those?) as well as helping on Friday night high schools.

Then on Sunday, he'd handle all the wire college football. At that time, it must've been 4-5 pages worth. All the roundups, etc. Then he'd jump in on local copy. The man has always worked his tail off and it was of the highest quality.

All this, and I think he was the only guy on that terrific Sentinel desk who said the f-word more than I did as we approached deadline on Saturday night. Different kind of stress back then.

I do a weekly radio show in Pittsburgh and Mike has been on as a guest on a few occasions via phone. His knowledge is tremendous and is encyclopedic.

Mike won't be out of work long. Way too talented and knowledgeable on the colleges. And a good man. A hell of a good man.

2. gator8

gator8 New Member

Looks like Mike just resurfaced, thank God! He's THE MAN! ;D

http://gamedayr.com/gamedayr/2012-2013-bcs-bowl-predicitons-updated/

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Bowl picks in October. ... What, no final scores?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Huguenin was doing that when he was still in Orlando, and I think he was doing that before CBS Sports and ESPN.com started doing it.

Readers love that stuff, absurd as it may seem.

Glad to see Mike working. He is one of the best.

5. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Big Huguenin fan .......... but what the heck is that web site?

6. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

Terrific news!

Draft saved Draft deleted