1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Huguenin

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Aug 23, 2012.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My guy at MCT, which distributes Rivals.com copy to newspapers, says he was told that Mike Huguenin was laid off by Yahoo/Rivals on Wednesday.

Can anyone confirm?

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Shouldn't a layoff, even of a big name, be a private matter until the person chooses to publicize it?

3. HejiraHenry

If, like us, you're counting on Rivals college football content for your weekly college football preview sections - and MCT is telling me they have no real Plan B at this point - then I think it falls under the Need To Know provision in the Sports Editor's Charter. It does not seem to violate any of the Four Rules of SJ Robotics that were posted in 2007.

If the site moderator disagrees, then he or she can feel free to delete this.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Wow, and after all the millions of words of vanilla, serviceable preview stuff he did. I'd be pissed if I were him.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Wow. And rumor says today is his birthday.

6. HejiraHenry

Yeah, must not have gotten paid by the word, eh?

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

How would you prefer your preview stuff? Isn't that the point of capsules and the like?

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Just to sum up: This guy might have been laid off, let's ask publicly to see if it's true, then rip his copy. #proud

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You get your money's worth with Huguenin.
    And you're paying for his knowledge and insight.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This. I'd put his knowledge of college sports up against anyone's.

11. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

I've this here before and I'll say it again: Mike Huguenin was the best line editor I've ever worked with in Sports (at The National) and for that talent/skill alone, it's a huge loss not having him around. Of course, he went on to do many other things well and if those talents/ skills are taken out of the equation, too, Yahoo/Rivals isn't going to realize what they've lost until too late.

I hope this rumor is unfounded but, if it's true, I wish Mike only the very best. He's too good to go unaffiliated for long. He'll haunt Yahoo/Rivals yet.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I stand by what I said. Perfectly good copy for many purposes. Not lively, tho, and there are many others who accumulate lots of facts and summarizations do it in a more readable way. But that doesn't mean I want him out of a job, especially after having just done a ton of work leading into the season.

Draft saved Draft deleted