1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Huguenin hired by Yahoo Sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Scribbled_Notz, Jul 20, 2007.

1. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

Good question. I heard there might be some combo positions, too.

2. I did some asking around, and this is an editing position. They are moving him to Nashville, too. A Sentinel staffer told me Huguenin going to be the point man on Yahoo's college coverage and also help whip Rivals.com into shape. Also, I don't believe this a "contract" job. From what I learned a while back, editors at Yahoo are treated as full-fledged Yahoo employees. I'm guessing that means the typical benefits, 401k, etc.

Now, the question I have is who are their college writers? Do they have any, other than Terry Bowden? Or are they just going to farm everything out to Rivals? I can't believe that's their plan. Then again, I suppose you buy Rivals for a purpose.

3. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

Scribbled: That all makes sense as far as editors being full-fledged employees. I think they're talking about some writers being hired on contract and perhaps helping with editing duties.

Refreshing to see someone get a job and NO ONE has trashed him! I'm sure no one will.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Gerry Ahern was their college editor. Is he still there doing that??

5. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

That's because we all want him to hire us!

6. Interesting. The process of staff building by Dave Morgan has me intrigued. I can't believe they will ever be the size of ESPN.com, simply because of the WWL's TV and mag entities. But I wonder how "big" Yahoo can really get. Sportsline collapsed under the weight of its additions, as did Fox Sports before the rebuilding.

I didn't like the purchase of Rivals at first, but now I'm thinking it was actually a smart move. It gives Yahoo another way to make money and another way to integrate new hires like Huguenin.

I didn't know Gerry Ahern worked there. He's another good one. I know he did a lot of good things at the Orange County Register.

7. redsox99

redsox99 Member

Had a chance to spend a week with Mike at a sports editors workshop a few years back. Super, super guy and very helpful to us "little guys" from the smaller shops. In fact, there have been several occasions where I've sought his advice and he always took the time to lend his insight.

8. JerryMicco

JerryMicco Member

Mike Huguenin is one of the best people in this business, period. I was the Sunday Sports Editor in Orlando back when Mike was hired. It was a very good desk, but Mike made it excellent. Eventually, he was my Friday editor and my main Saturday guy, sitting right next to me for my nearly two years as Sunday Sports Editor.
    He'd kill me for saying all these nice things, but he's one of five guys, if I could ever get him to do it, I'd hire in an instant. On those fall Fridays, he would edit all the advance Sunday copy as well as work a regular rim shift for Saturday's paper. On fall Saturdays for Sunday, he'd handle all, and I mean all, of the wire college football roundups as well as any furniture (charts, Heisman watch, etc.) by himself. He'd even chip in on local college stories. I had to insist he do less, one of only a few folks I've ever had to do that with. In those days, we had 115 column sections and did a roundup of every region in the country, as well as the SEC and Top 25. In short, he did about half of the section himself. Oh yeah, and he would handle some NFL stuff, too.
    I wish Mike all the best, he certainly deserves it. I need to call him and bet him a Coke (we'd do that on every TV game we watched in the office during our Saturday shift) on a given game a week. It'd have to be a diet Coke these days, however. And one more thing about this terrific journalist: He's the only guy who could stand toe-to-toe for me dropping f-bombs back in my desk days. I'm not proud of it, but it is what it is.
    All the best, Michael!

9. Creig Ewing

Creig Ewing Member

No one can stand toe-to-toe dropping f-bombs with Huguenin.

Mike's not only a great editor but was a great guy to work with.

Best of luck.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I worked with Mike as well -- Hi, Mike!, it was in Jacksonville -- and he's indeed an extremely talented and hard-working guy. Great hire for Yahoo, and good luck to Mike.

11. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Huegs is the best sports guy I've ever worked with.

Always seems to know the book on every player on every college team, along with his high school and the name of his girlfriend.

Even better, he's a hell of a guy, and not just because he can use the word fuck as a noun, a verb and an adjective -- all in the same sentence.

12. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Got room for one more on the bandwagon? I worked with Mike in Jacksonville. I was a fresh out of high school, Friday night call taker. I remember thinking that I had to learn a helluva lot more if I wanted to work in this business, because I had no idea how he knew all those names and facts and was never wrong.

To this day, I read the Orlando Sentinel's webpage for his column. A true workhorse. Orlando's loss, Yahoo's gain.

Draft saved Draft deleted