1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Huguenin hired by Yahoo Sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Scribbled_Notz, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Congrats to Mike. Don't know him personally, but I know he's an ex National guy and I have heard people on this board speak very highly of him in the past. And the people I know over at the Orlando Sentinel say it's a big, big loss for them.

I hear he's leaving to run Yahoo's college coverage.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

It's a huge loss for Orlando. We use his stuff off of the MCT wire frequently during the college-sports season.

3. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

oh my god, orlando will never recover from this

they might as well close up shop

4. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

Mike was the best line editor I worked with at The National, but it's obvious from discussions on this board that he was much more than that in Orlando. Knowing his work ethic, care and attention to detail, I imagine this is a HUGE loss for the Sentinel.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

It's a lot easier for them to recover from their losing one of Hoppes' "florists" than Huguenin.

Simply a fact. Huguenin has that immediate, total-command knowledge that deskers dream about.

Definitely the right time to jump.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I'm blanking out on the guy from the LA Times that Yahoo hired to run sports. Sounds like he knows good people to hire.

7. Dave Morgan.

8. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

I worked with Huguenin when he was the Sports Editor in Gainesville before he went to Orlando. Easily the best editor I have had the chance to work for. The guy works his ass off, cares deeply about the product and makes everyone around him, whether it is a writer, copy editor or designer, 10 times better just from learning from him. Plus the guy is an encyclopedia of knowledge and knows colleges inside and out.
    Want to know who was the brains when they ranked NCAA coaches and QBs from 1-117. It was Huguenin.
    Great gain for Yahoo, bad loss for the Sentinel.

9. Mmmm_Donuts

Mmmm_Donuts Member

Wow. I'm shocked. As someone who has become familiar with Mike's rep over the years, and having met him at APSE, I figured the Tribune Company would do almost anything to keep him from getting away.

Big time hire for Yahoo, and you don't hear that very often about editors.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I bet you're just as accomplished as the last two guys you've dogged on these boards (Kelly Dwyer being the other one).

Back to the BLOG for you.

11. Ooh, he pulls out the all-caps BLOG card! It's over now.

(But, for real, I agree with you completely.)

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of the best in the business...

Orlando is one of my favorite sections in the country, but Huguenin was a huge reason why Orlando's college coverage was so good. This is a pretty big loss for the Sentinel. They'll recover, but it's a pretty big hit...

Congrats to Mike...

Draft saved Draft deleted