1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Hargrove resigns in Seattle

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Jul 1, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Good story. Had it all. Laughed, cried, etc. ;)

2. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

But IJAG, he speaks so highly of you. Everytime Mike and I talk, he always asks about you, always reminds me to say hi and always says what a wonderful person you are. I think you and Mike need to have a talk.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Who you should hate are the underachieving whiners that populated that clubhouse in that era.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Why him? Why not Mesa? Seems like he ought to be golden with two World Series appearances for that town.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Oh, god, despise doesn't even begin to describe my feelings for Mesa. There's a rant somewhere on here about him. That man can die slowly drowning in my saliva from all the times I'd spit on him.

Hargrove was just ... awkward. I almost feel like they had success then despite him.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I don't think it is automatic that there has to be more to this story. You don't have to be going through a tough season to wake up one day and decide it is just too much. Dick Bennett quit three games into the 2000-2001 season at Wisconsin. His resignation came one day after the Badgers beat No. 13 Maryland in overtime and there wasn't any ulterior motive in quitting. He realized that he had run out of gas.

It very well could be that Grover didn't feel any excitment during this winning streak and realized that was a sign that his heart simply wasn't in it anymore. And given the travel and all of the other pressures of being a major league manager, if your heart isn't it in, I'm guessing that it isn't worth it.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

On my unread topics list, this topic comes right after "Preps Writer in Seattle". Maybe he just wanted a change in profession. Who wouldn't give up a MLB manager's job to cover volleyball? Who?

8. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

It was made clear to Hargrove and GM Bill Bavasi at the beginning of the season that this was make or break but anyone who finds the timing odd is right on. Hargrove was polishing turds the best he could and it might be a case where he's just tired of having people above him on the food chain comment on what a shitty job he's doing, notwithstanding the Ms not being in last.

"The Human Rain Delay." Before there was Nomah, there was Hargrove and his 10-minute, three-pitch plate appearances.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i wonder if the 'more' to this story is that he's depressed or something. look for yet another celebrity spokesperson for depression in a few months or years once he gets himself some treatment.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

But you loved Doc Edwards.

11. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

I hope this is not health related as often when some one quits suddenly it often is. For all his detractors I always liked Grover as the Indians manager and wish him the best of luck what ever he is going to do next.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

From the AP story.

Sounds like he's plain ol' burnt out. Says he decided to quit at the end of a 6-game losing streak.

Draft saved Draft deleted