1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Gundy threatens local media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Sep 26, 2018.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I cannot imagine having email address and direct desk phone number at the bottom of a story now. Just gives the idiot fan way, way too easy a path to light you up with threats, insults, etc. I had a boss who thought reporters should respond politely to every email thanking the idiots for reading and writing. Absolutely 1oo percent wrong.

Doc Holliday and Fredrick like this.
  2. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I try to reply to most reasonable people who reach out via email or social media about my reporting, but I'd never post my phone number. I don't have time for that shit.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Doc Holliday likes this.
  3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I wonder if we're at the point - or past it - where beat writers need to be ready and know how to handle things like the Gundy threats, and not have to stop and check with editors 5 minutes before availability to have a discussion on "Do I ask the asshole about this or not?"

Ideally, the beat writers are professional enough and comfortable enough to make that call and know their editors have their backs, but you never know these days.

Tweener likes this.
  4. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

It used to be that the strongest reporters in the newsroom were covering these major beats. That is no longer the case, sadly, though there are obviously still great beat writers out there. A lot of greenies, too.

5. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

I'm a believer in access to practice and widespread availability. I think beat writers can learn quite a bit by watching a full football or basketball practice. Coaches are far too paranoid.

However, I also understand that the level of access is rapidly diminishing. Which is why I made my post earlier in the thread - If programs want to restrict access, we'll find other ways to tell compelling stories. That's how I'd approach it as a beat writer and that's how I'd instruct my writers as an editor. Ask the important questions. If they want to throw a fit and restrict access, oh well. We'll do our thing regardless.

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

But are they literally slobbing the coach’s nob?

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This assumes people get to the bottom of stories. My info is accessible—email only, thank god—and some crazy leaks in, but not that much.

8. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I might have to get on that Big XII conference call this week.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Couldn't happen to a more deserving coach.

10. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Seriously, if "fucktard" ever makes the Dictionary and the definition isn't a big picture of Gundy with his stupid haircut I'll be disappointed

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

What did the idiot do this week?

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Other than get his ass beat, I was wondering the same thing

Draft saved Draft deleted