1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Greenberg isn't really as good as ESPN/ABC thinks, is he?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ondeadline, Nov 20, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

<a href="http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2007/11/whos-ready-for-mike-greenberg-hosted.html">First there was play-by-play for arena football, then play-by-play for a Monday night football game and now he's going to be the host for an ABC game show called "Duel."</a>

I think that Mike and Mike can be an interesting show, but they just try to damn hard with the stupid MVP songs and numerous other stupid bits. I try my best to either change the station or turn the volume down when I'm listening to ESPN Radio and hear one of the MANY commercials that start, "Hey Golic! Yeah Greeny!" I usually have the volume down by the time Golic belts out the "yeah." The stone cold lead pipe locks bit is just silly and stupid.

Now Mike and Mike are deemed such stars that they are going to "roast" them in January.

Look, these guys are decent at what they do. But enough is enough!

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Hey Golic!
    Yes, Gr.........

Nobody else listens past that, right?

They are on in the 5:00 am hour on the west coast when I go jogging. I used to listen to them but am much happier listen to Steve Czabe on Fox Sports.

Last week, when Czabe was in a commercial, I was listening to espn. They had a guest (Ditka?) but spent 3 minutes talking about how many candy bars Golic had eaten. He's fat, we get it. The other one's gay, we get it. Its such bad radio.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Maybe he just works cheap.

4. Doesn't work cheap, but he's on the second tier of salaries at the WWL. It's just another case of putting these guys through the car wash and the most out of them. It's also about cross-promoting on Mouse properties ...

5. ESPN isn't as good as ESPN thinks it is.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

That's nails on chalkboard for me. Their act is becoming a smarmy, Leave It To Beaver type. And I think they may both be playing the Eddie Haskell role.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He's what ESPN loves... Vanilla, boring and not controversial...

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

For every 15 minutes when they're informative or entertaining, there are moments when I have to change stations. It's OK if they want to go after the 18-to-25 demographic, but that's not me and I'm not listening when it's that irritating.

Monday morning they had Dick Vitale on and the one question I figured they were going to ask was about the new 16-team postseason tournament. No; instead, they talk about Alex Rodriguez. Unless it has something to do with what college basketball, I couldn't care less who Dickie V has over for dinner.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'll disagree. Anyone who listens to the show, and doesn't appreciate how good he is, remember what it's like when Erica Sillius fills in. Makes me turn to Big Moose & the sports guy from Frasier's station over on WFAN. He's pretty good at his job. & I realized Golic is too when Schlereth filled in for him.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Just because they found someone worse to fill in doesn't make them worth a shit.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think the spelling is Eric Kuselias...

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I used to watch the simulcast a lot, and I enjoyed it for the most part. Sure, they can be annoying after a while, but who isn't? Maybe they've gotten worse over the last six months, but I haven't seen the show in about that long. The last time I watched it was when Stark's book, "The Stark Truth: The Most Overrated and Underrated Players in Baseball History" was released.

Draft saved Draft deleted