1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Freeman to -- Bleacher Report?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 1, 2013.

1. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I don't have a dog in this fight, but keep in mind that Bleacher Report is partnered with CNN through common ownership. If you're looking to stretch your multi-platform presence, CNN is a fair way to go. From that standpoint, it might make sense.

(Modified to acknowledge that the awfulannouncing.com piece mentions this as well ... I just read it after my post.)

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My over/under is $250K, but that is just a complete guess.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This is one weird industry.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

I had zero regard for Bleacher Report until I saw that piece on Dick Trickle earlier this week ... best thing I've read in a bit of a while. Thanks to whomever pointed that out here.

5. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

BR is certainly upgrading in places - it is hard to beat Will Carroll if you want someone to write about injuries, and they are giving him a chance to write in-depth stories without slideshows or the usual silliness.

6. Rawbot

Rawbot Member

I thought that was published on SB Nation. Unless there are two spectacular Dick Trickle pieces floating around.

7. JR119

JR119 Member

With recent layoffs at CBS, rumors are out there that he was going to be let go. So it's not like Bleacher Report stole him away ... but again, these are just rumors. But it's a fact that some higher-ups were let go by CBSSports.com this past week.

8. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

I bet SB Nation, which is working overtime to pluck money out of park fountains, soda machine change slots, and couch cushions so that it can pay writers to do literary journalism will be thrilled to know one of their best pieces is being credited to the clickbait whores at Bleacher Report. Reminds me of that great piece Bleacher Report wrote about Michael Jordan turning 50. I think it was broken into a 13,000-frame slide show.

9. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

Hell, no, there aren't. That was my bad completely. Apologies in all directions.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Guys, maybe Mike Freeman didn't know ESPN was hiring.

11. Stopping By

Stopping By New Member

Considering Freeman wrote this (http://www.amazon.com/ESPN-Uncensored-History-Michael-Freeman/dp/0878332707), I doubt ESPN would hire him any time soon.

12. JPsT

JPsT Member

Agreed with the sentiment, but I'm not sure it's fair to characterize a company that's received nearly $24 million of funding in the past few years as one that's scrounging for change.

Draft saved Draft deleted