1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Florio's hissy fit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MisterCreosote, Jun 13, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Synopsis: Philadelphia Eagles guard Evan Mathis tweeted a fake $64,000 restaurant receipt with the cutline "Teaching the rookies a lesson." It was a hoax meant to fuck with the media.

Florio then started bitching about how no one should ever listen to Mathis again because he's a lying poopyhead, and it's no different than a reporter shining a laser pointer in a player's eyes right before a snap. ::)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/13/evan-mathis-strikes-again/

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Who gives a fuck what Mike Florio thinks about anything?

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Well, he obviously takes himself very, very seriously. NFL players' dinner tabs are no laughing matter.

4. I don't see what's so hard about saying, Mathis baited us, we fell for it, without fact checking it. A simple call to the restaurant would've done the trick...

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

By that logic, no one should take Florio seriously again since he reported Terry Bradshaw was dead.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I don't know, I think Florio was right about that. I mean, have you seen the Fox pregame show lately?

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Now come on. Bradshaw's not dead. He can't SING, but he's not dead. ;)

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Mike Florio being boxed into admitting he was wrong is almost as entertaining as oop being boxed into admitting he was wrong.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I know for sure one of those has never happened.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Dumb question: How do we know it was a hoax? Is it possible that with the NFL placing an emphasis on no bullying/hazing in the locker room, that he tweeted this out, got backlash for it and then said it was a prank?

If it actually happened? So what? If it was a prank, points to Mathis. Even if you're an Eagles' beat writer, this is a note or a very short story (unless you pursue the rookies being hazed angle, which is a reach, IMO...) and then another note to clarify the next day... BFD...

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You use tweets or Facebook as a source, you deserve to get burned.

12. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Exactly!

Draft saved Draft deleted