1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Florio: Football should be included in the Olympics

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rondembo, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rondembo

rondembo New Member

I think this would be a great inclusion to the Olympics, if curling and bobsled can be Olympic sports so can the most respected sport in the nation. I think the ratings for football would go through the roof, look how Olympic hockey got great ratings even though hockey is as low scoring as soccer. For those saying that other countries don't play football, well other countries didn't play basketball a few decades ago. I'm sure that for foreigners the brute strenght and awesome destructing power of our athletes in the NFL is intimidating, but given enough time I'm sure some of the countries that produce good hockey players could produce good football players.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-02-24/inclusion-olympics-could-be-key-international-growth-nfl

I think this would be a great inclusion to the Olympics, if curling and bobsled can be Olympic sports so can the most respected sport in the nation. I think the ratings for football would go through the roof, look how Olympic hockey got great ratings even though hockey is as low scoring as soccer. For those saying that other countries don't play football, well other countries didn't play basketball a few decades ago. I'm sure that for foreigners the brute strenght and awesome destructing power of our athletes in the NFL is intimidating, but given enough time I'm sure some of the countries that produce good hockey players could produce good football players.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

How can you make a game that's played once a week work within a two-week Olympics?

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

More stupidity.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Flag football, maybe.

Why did I even type that?

No.

End of thread.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You couldn't. Teams would have to play multiple games with only 3 or 4 days off between each one.

Even if football reached IOC minimum participant requirements for Olympic consideration it will never be included in the Summer Olympics for the simple reason that the IOC already thinks there are too many athletes at the Summer Games.

An eight-team football tournament would add 360 athletes plus 100-150 staff people. And that's just for a men's tournament. Double that number for a women's competition - which the IOC pretty much requires from new sports.

And don't bring up the Winter Olympics, that's a non-starter.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Olympic Charter defines winter sports as "sports which are practised on snow or ice." That rules out the Winter Olympics, and football doesn't work well for fans of the sport during the summer. But even so, 1) not a gamed typically played by men and women, which is something they look for, and 2) Olympic sports have to be played all over the world and American football isn't. Also, football is a physical game that doesn't lend itself to several games a week in a short tournament. And lastly, with pros allowed to participate in the Olympics, inclusion of football would be a disaster. If we send American pros, they would physically injure teams from elsewhere, and the games would be ridiculous blowouts. If we decide not to send our best players because of that, the competition would suffer in interest because it would be less than the world's best playing. It's an idea that has no legs. But good try tweaking people.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You have a better chance getting rugby in the Olympics.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I bet rugby is an Olympic sport by 2016...

9. rondembo

rondembo New Member

Same way boxing does, despite boxers fighting once every few months, also same way rugby will do at the next olympics and soccer has been doing. You start the qualifications before the tournament then only play 8 top teams.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Name 8 countries where American football is played, Dumbo.

11. rondembo

rondembo New Member

Rugby is coming back in the Olympics in 2016. Guess what, America has the msot gold medals. If we can send our worst atheltes who play rugby and still win, imagine what would happen if we send our best athletes to play football? There would be no doubt whatsoever which country is the toughest, most physically strongest and alpha male. Just because we would dominate and embarass the duminitative foreigners doesn't mean that an exciting sport should not be in the Olympics. I bet the ratings would be through the roof.

12. rondembo

rondembo New Member

There are over 54.

To name just 8: Canada, USA, Germany, Brazil, Russia, England, Poland, Mexico.

http://www.ifaf.info/countries/index

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.