1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Downey leaving Trib

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . selling their birthright, for a mess of pottage.

Of course, one could say they did that, when they flipped the pub over to Sam the Sham and the Oh-Nos.

2. That's a nice, but awfully strange, note from McGrath.
    It sounds like Downey's ill or something, no?

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Don't think it's been made clear here just why or how Downey is leaving. But this quote sure seems to:

Downey and out: Mike Downey, who returned home to Chicago in 2003 as a Tribune sports columnist, is leaving the paper. "The Tribune was generous enough to make me one of the best-paid sportswriters in the history of this business, so I certainly can't fault the paper for doing this now that times are hard," Downey said Thursday.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/columnists/chi-fri_phil_rosenthal_21nov21,0,5351446.column

Sounds like it was management that cut this cord, declined to renew a contract or some such.

4. Joe Williams

But saying he "can't fault" the paper for "doing this now" makes it sound like it was, instead, a layoff with an extremely generous severance check. In other words, sounds like Downey wasn't the decider here.

5. Can we agree that it was a bad job of letting an ambiguous quote hang there by the reporter?

Obviously the details will come out soon enough, probably somewhere like the Chicago Reader or the Sun-Times.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, it reads like something Downey said and the reporter didn't pick up on until he listened to the tape.

A friend of mine said he got more than a year's pay in severance.

7. Good work if you can get it.

8. Joe Williams

Yeah, a year's pay isn't completely unusual in the world of buyouts and layoffs. But a year's pay at Mr. Downey's salary would sustain most of us for much, much longer. Good for him -- better in his pocket than Sam Zell's.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Apparently, the reports I was hearing on the size of the buyout are wrong.

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I liked Downey's columns, but, yeah, it always felt like he was out of place in Chicago.

Ran into him a few times on the Big Ten circuit during Illinois' run to the Final Four a couple of years back. Seemed like a nice guy, especially when I let him use my Internet connection after one game (the arena only had ethernet).

I continue to be disappointed by the Trib's direction. Grew up reading the Midwest edition, didn't stop reading it until they cut off delivery here last spring. Picked up an edition a few weeks ago when I was in Chicago, it took me about five minutes to breeze through it.

11. cvincent40

cvincent40 New Member

Haven't read Mike a lot in the past few (retirement) years in Texas, but from years of sharing an office with him at the Free Press -- before being 1/2 of his replacement when he went to LA -- I can guarantee any of you who have not met him that he is one of the best men to ever work in the business. Since I haven't read much of his stuff recently, I find it odd that so many say he seemed out of place in Chicago, since that is where I first met him, when he was on the Bulls beat in the late 70s or early 80s. I always thought of him as a Chicagoan...

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Great meeting preceding the hire I'm sure. Beancounter: Give me a list of our highest paid people. OK, this one's easy. Downey is gone. Editor: But he's one of our best. Beancounter: So?

Draft saved Draft deleted