1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Downey leaving Trib

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 20, 2008.

1. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

If David Haugh gets the job, he deserves it. He is a fine journalist, and he did some amazing columns during his time in South Bend.
    If the Trib hires Mariotti, as I've thought they'd do all along, then so be it.

2. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

If this is how the sports editor feels (as excerpted from above memo), then the only way Mariotti is hired is over this guy's dead body, right? Makes you wonder how much a say the SE had in the discussions before the Sun-Times decided to enforce its non-compete clause.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I agree screwball. The SE will have nothing to do with the hire of cliche Jay. It would totally come from above. I'm sure the owner cares not about what the SE thinks. If they negotiated with cliche Jay before that means he is heavy on their radar.

4. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I think Haugh is a fantastic nuts-and-bolts writer, but I have yet to see him have an opinion at the Trib that is anything but vanilla. I didn't see any of his work in South Bend, though.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wouldnt be the first time that a columnist hire comes from above the SE's paygrade...

6. accguy

accguy Member

You have to remember that Bill Adee, who is now McGrath's boss at the Tribune, used to be the SE at the Sun-Times.

If Jay ends up at the Tribune, Adee is the reason why.

7. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

ACCguy, you sure about who reports to whom?

Adee formerly reported to McGrath and later moved out of sports.

Unless something changed just lately, Adee is associate managing editor for innovation, AKA the Internet guy.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A tree falls in an empty forest.

Pray it isn't Eddie. But, you know, it . . .

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This job is Mariotti's. It will be huge for the Tribune.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Loved Downey in LA. Hated Downey in Chicago.

I have no explanation. I thought it was a great hire when it happened.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Downey never seemed comfortable in Chicago.
    Hard to explain, just seemed that way to me.

12. In his infinite defense, it can be very, very difficult to be a one-beat columnist. You are so wiring into the nuts and bolts of the team, and writing so often, that it becomes difficult to step back and pen big-picture columns.

Of course, I'm guessing the same was true of his role in South Bend,

Draft saved Draft deleted