1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Davis named SE at Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gutter, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I admit it; never watched MASH ... translation?

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Frank Burns was an idiot.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

More anal, persnickety and slavish follower of rules than an idiot.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And on those occasions he was left in charge he made tons of rules but nobody paid attention to them.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Donnie Marsh will actually be the one getting the section off the floor.

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Maybe I missed something, but how does an online editor, ANY online editor, get handed the keys to a major metropolitan sports section?
    It just seems odd to me.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Easy if you can take the major metropolitan sports section and fold it up and stick it in your back pocket.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Seriously? Why so? I mean, I don't know what the MJ-S "online editor" means. But I know an awful lot of people who work at an awful lot of pretty large sports online sites ... ESPN.com, CBSSports.com, AOL Fanhouse ... whom I would trust to run a major metro sports section.

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I'm sorry. Let me rephrase.
    He's in charge of digital development, which sounds like a more official version of the online editor title, and is named sports editor.
    So, he goes from one title to two, which gives the impression one of those jobs didn't/doesn't require much work to allow one person to handle two senior management positions.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Riddick, you say that as if you still think most people believe the print edition is better than an online operation. That is a mistake -- not the thinking that newspaper sports sections have value/do good things, just the believing that most people think that.

For better or for worse, I think the answer to your question is that, what this means is that the emphasis of that major metropolitan sports section will now be put on digital/online efforts -- to an even far greater degree than has, perhaps, already occurred in recent years.

The plan/hope is probably to turn this major metropolitan sports section into a major metropolitan Web site instead of just a newspaper that, uh, puts its stuff online.

My guess is, this is what is likely to happen to all newspapers/newspaper sections. The paper is not handing Davis the keys to a major metro sports section. It is telling/allowing him to take hold of what has been there and attempt to turn it into what it hopes it can/will be in the future. Break it, and make it over, essentially.

It will not be two separate jobs. His job will be to incorporate his paper's sports section into the company's online operation, not to incorporate online blogs/other technical aspects into his section's sports coverage.

Note the subtle, yet fundamental, difference.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well, if the MJS is like MOST papers, they probably have far too many people with big titles and big paychecks and little responsibilities. Top heavy with no actual idea of what any of them do. I say kudos to the MJS if they ARE in fact combining some of those positions.

12. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Maybe you should re-read the first post in this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted