1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike D'Antoni quits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

OK, that makes sense...

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Why would he do that? Wouldn't they have fired him anyway?

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No, they wanted him to coach out the last year of his deal. He asked for an extension as not to be a lame duck coach, they said no and this the agreement they came to.

4. Mizzougrad96

He clearly didn't want to be there when the entire planet knows he wouldn't be back the following season. I'm actually surprised he didn't get the full amount.

We used to joke whenever a coach "resigned" was this a "resignation" or a "Spurrier resignation" because Spurrier walked away from the Redskins with $15 million on the table and never thought for a second of trying to get a buyout. I remember someone asking him about that and he said, "Why would I do that. I didn't want to be there, why should they have to pay me?"

I have to admit, I respect that.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Spurrier walked because he already stole $10 million from the Redskins.

6. Mizzougrad96

They paid Schottenheimer every cent of his contract.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Players in New Orleans could not stand him by the end of that run.

8. Mizzougrad96

That would make sense. There are a lot of guys who are decent coaches, but the act runs thin with the players really quickly. I could definitely see Scott being like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted