1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike D'Antoni quits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Apr 30, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, but we know that was personal.

Even if you thought D'Antoni and his offense (or whatever) was a poor fit for the team, I thought D'Antoni was respected around the league.

In their statement, the Lakers thanked him for the job he did, etc. They chose the politically correct, classy move.

So, why did Magic choose to celebrate, like they had rid themselves of some horrible person?

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Magic was one of the black guys Sterling didn't want his girlfriend appearing in public with.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Magic has no association with the Lakers except as former player and fan. I note this thread started with a Lakers fan essentially agreeing with Magic.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

D'Antoni was doomed from the second people realized that ownership hired him when Phil was still in play.

I would not be surprised if they went with a college coach here.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Which one? Calipari? Donovan? Lakerdom is not going to be satisfied with a Marshall. It wants a brand name.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Kevin Ollie. Grew up in L.A., superstar at Crenshaw High.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Mark Jackson.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Derek Fisher.

Take it to the bank.

9. Mizzougrad96

Fisher would be a popular hire.

If they go the college route, I would think Calipari, Donovan and Ollie would be the ones mentioned.

I think D'Antoni was banking on getting fired and when he wasn't, he demanded the extension to make sure he got fired or agreed to let him resign.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Calipari or Donovan aren't touching that job. Not at this point, this year. A number of years ago, rumor was the Lakers went after Coach K from Duke, who wisely decided to stay put. A good college gig is much more stable than an NBA job. You can recruit your choice of players, run your system with little outside interference and the players are actually coachable.

11. Mizzougrad96

It wasn't a rumor that they went after Coach K. They went after him and offered him a monster contract, which I think at the time was $32 mil over four years, which was insane at the time. I don't remember what year it was.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I remember Kobe Bryant got into a pissing war with Phil Jackson after the 2004 season and loss in the Finals. Bryant wanted them to hire Coach K. Couldn't remember if an offer was ever made or not. Ended up hiring Rudy Tomjanovich and, later, Kurt Rambis before Jackson came back for a second stint.

Draft saved Draft deleted