1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Carey Expert Analysis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Carey just never sounds convinced on what he is saying. What a waste of time. On the other hand
    MikePereira always adds to the process for Fox

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If Carey had been on the Dez Bryant catch, he would have gotten it wrong and it would have been a raging inferno of a controversy.

3. Boom_70

Or CBS would have not brought him on until definitive decision was made by replay officials

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Does Fox even have second and third crews after Buck and Aikman? I swear the guy with Lynch last night was new (I'm sure he wasn't, just anonymous wallpaper) How will they ever do the Open?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

On this fumble call, Carey just sounds like a guy who doesn't know the rules.

6. Boom_70

Hah Carey wrong again

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If I had a dollar for every time this season that he said something and it was immediately disagreed with on the field.

Not that I blame Carey. These rules are so vague that an 'expert' is wrong half the time.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

I really don't know this rule, but I find it hard to believe that the same standard for possession/control applies to a kick return as a pass reception.

9. Boom_70

Just the same it seems like Pereira is rarely wrong.

10. Boom_70

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I had the same reaction. I wasn't sure why Carey was saying that the return man needed to maintain possession all the way through the play. If a returner possesses the ball and is tackled to the ground, it's simply down by contact, right? If a receiver loses the ball as he's going to the ground, it's an incompletion, not a fumble. It's a totally different scenario than a punt return. I've never heard anyone talk about a returner maintaining possession as he goes to the ground to establish a catch.

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

Especially since all the ball has to do is touch him to create a fumble.

bigpern23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted