1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Bellotti Steps Down as HC of the Fighting Hi-Liters

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Wow! I thought he would for sure finish out the season.

As much as I don't care for Oregon, the couple times I talked with Bellotti he seemed like a good guy.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Good guy, great coach. As an alum, I'm glad he'll be looming over Kelly's shoulder. I hope the transition's a smooth one.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, that's a fucking shame. [/makingjerkingoffmotion]

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Canzano of the Oregonian surmises it's bad news for Kent, but I really don't think Bellotti wants to have a new fb coach and a new hoops coach going into his first year. The timing of the thing is kind of odd though.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

why? he helped secure the new incoming class by being up front in his recruiting. i think it was wise.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I would agree with you. Don't know that Bellotti would want to mess with a basketball hire right now.

And after going 2-16 in the Pac 10, I think Ernie has more immediate problems to worry about.

8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I'd bet the three-month delay on Kelly taking over FB vs. Bellotti taking over as AD is so that Kilkenny can off Ernie Kent and Bev Smith and Bellotti can start with a fresh slate.

I'm sad and excited ... sad that Bellotti is leaving the FB helm, excited Kelly's taking over and intrigued at the prospect of Bellotti running the athletics show.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Heard a local sports guy mention that the sad part about Bellotti leaving is that they most likely would have ended up with a better and more experienced coach than Chip Kelly. A Kyle Whittingham, Mike Leach, Chris Petersen, or Brian Kelly type.

Draft saved Draft deleted