1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Migrating to the world of Sports Information -- is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by goplayintramurals, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Due to a few events at work/home that kind of led me to one of those professional epiphanies, I find myself questioning whether I'm in this journalism thing for the long haul or not.

I'm kind of leaning towards not, just fyi.

Anyway, naturally, I've been pondering the whole SID thing. There's a pretty solid entry level opening at a major DI school (that also happens to be my alma mater) that looks incredibly appealing from the standpoint that I'd be able to move back to my area of choice (complete with friends, family) while starting out on a new foot.

Is it worth it, though? Part of my beef with working in this arena (duh) the god awful work hours/pay that we have to put up with despite having college educations and a skill set that allows most of us to excel in plenty of other higher-paying professions. Is being an SID really any different? I'd imagine those guys/gals put in just as many hours as we do. The pay doesn't sound like it's light years ahead of what I'm making now, either.

So, for all of you who have been there or are there, what's the appeal? What convinced you that this was better than newspapers? What are the pros and cons? I notice a few of these spots are contract positions as well. Is job security an issue?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Payment will be issued in internet dollars. (Exchange rate: 1 internet = 1 real life hug, pat on the back, expression of gratitude)

2. Found it.

Thanks.

Disregard this post. I'm a douchebag.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's why you're stuck in intramurals. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.