1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Might as well rename it the "copy editor/design job board"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JME, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

When it comes to most writing jobs, the industry still operates under the stepladder approach to moving up, so once on the ladder at the small papers, writers become known and are sought when openings arise at bigger papers. Editors, whether copy or line/assigning, need to impress in more intangible ways, and that depends on the department as much as the editor.

2. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

I get paid for every minute, but we're still unofficially encouraged to do this.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

A good editor should always be looking for copy editors/designers. Always.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Fixed.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

There's not always a separation at smaller papers. I'm not saying there shouldn't be a separation, but there isn't always.

6. You must work for a Gannett paper.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and many of you whine, bitch and cry every time someone with experience tells a newbie asking for advice to find a job in a different field.

8. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Close, but no cigar. My shop is installing some kind of computerized time clock as an unofficial acknowledgement of the practice and as a means to curb it. Managers can still alter clock in and clock out times, however. Go figure.

Draft saved Draft deleted