1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Might as well rename it the "copy editor/design job board"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JME, Jan 11, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Why would you fear a job like that? Besides, there's plenty of other avenues for writing, even if you're "stuck" ::) on the desk.

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

To take it a step further, if you can't design your options will be even more limited as time goes by (believe me, I know). So, writers, it can't hurt to have more than one skill, even if there are shops like mine, where the writers don't work desk. I assure you such places are few and far between.

3. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

You won't get pigeonholed as long as you maintain your skills through other avenues. Easier said than done, but ... for example, if you're a designer or a copy editor and you want to be a writer -- there are freelance opportunities that you can take advantage of on your days off. It's just a matter of determination, IMO.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I've often wondered how fun it would be to show up at a game on a day off and walk into the press box near deadline and offer my services as a free-lance copy editor.

"I'll edit your gamer before you file it. Get your copy edited here!" ;D

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The people who need editing the most usually don't think they need editing.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

BLOGS!!!!!

Seriously, I've done some freelancing, enough to remember why I fled to the desk in the first place.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Just as long as the designing jobs aren't advertised as copy editor jobs.

8. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

What's the magazine job market like? Anybody tuned in to that?

9. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Full-time writers are not economically viable at most smaller papers these days. We have a staff of three full-time and none of us are true full-time writers. Why have four when three can all split the duties of the nonexistent ASE job? Means we write one less gamer per week or put that feature on hold for just one more day. Better yet, work on that on your day off and don't clock in.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

We've rarely posted openings for writers. We've often posted openings for editors.

See above for reasons.

11. JME

JME Member

All of the above are good points. But I think it's safe to say if the market was even lukewarm, there would be a lot more job postings.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Which would make that doing unpaid work for the company.

Agree with everything else you posted, but everything you do for the company deserves to be compensated for.

Draft saved Draft deleted