1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Midwestern ice/snow storm

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OnTheRiver, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

No offence, Bob, but you already flushed that money as soon as you bought the tickets, whether you go to the event or not.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Winter storm warning up for D/FW with up to two inches of ice and sleet by this time tomorrow. This Super Bowl will be the biggest goat screw ever.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

1-3 inches of snow tonight. 1-3 inches tomorrow during the day, 10-14 inches tomorrow night.

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

From the NWS in Tulsa: ANY LOSS OF POWER WILL RESULT IN A HUMANITARIAN CRISIS...AS TEMPERATURES DROP INTO THE SINGLE DIGITS AND RESCUE EFFORTS ARE HAMPERED BY THE ROAD CONDITIONS.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Last Atlanta Super Bowl had a big-time ice storm. NFL hasn't been back since.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The local stations are building this storm up to be the fucking 'end of the world.

We're supposed to get (around Toronto) 20-30 cm which is, well, not even a foot.

It's a huge pain in the ass but Lord, it's Canada and it's winter.

7. JBHawkEye

I was there, got into town the day before it hit. City had no idea how to handle it. I remember in a taxi ride over to the media center how they had dumped what seemed like a truckload of sand on one hill. The rain had basically turned it to mud.

They're forecasting up to an inch of ice tomorrow and tomorrow night in Indianapolis, with expected lengthy power outages. If that's Super Bowl week there next year, that wouldn't be a lot of fun.

8. JBHawkEye

And that's what I think here, too. It's winter, we've had worse storms. Is it going to be bad? Yeah, but we'll deal with it. Although I doubt if the city plows deal with it, they usually can't handle the 3-5 inchers we usually get.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The Indy bureau called the potential of the storm "catastrophic".

I'm recanting this. I almost never get nervous about storms. I am nervous about this one because of the ice accumulation and wind that will follow it. We're expected to get almost 2 inches of ice. That will bring damn near everything down.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The funny thing about it is, kickoff temperatures Sunday are forecast to be in the 60s. They could play with the roof open if the NFL chose to.

This is going to really fuck up the weekday events, though. "Mass transit" in D/FW consists mostly of hopping in your car with a buddy.

11. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Indy was runner-up to DFW for the Super Bowl this year. Imagine if the city would be digging out from an ice storm.

What's scary is that they're predicting 1+ inches of ice in Indy -- freezing rain almost nonstop from tonight through Wednesday AM -- and then 30+ mph winds on Wednesday and snow, which could snap frozen power lines AND give us blowing/drifting snow on top of the ice.

Above-freezing temps forecast for the weekend. I'm hoping that's the case.

As a teacher, I'm not going to bed early tonight. I think I might have a couple of days off (but on the other hand, working in June).

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Remember the great ice storm of '98? It was the greatest natural disaster in Canadian history.

http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/almanac/arc2008/alm08jan.htm

The ice storm that brought Quebec and surrounding areas to a standstill could only be called a superstorm. Briefly, its impacts over the five days it rained ice on the region included 46 deaths, billions of dollars in damage, and more than four million people without electrical power, some for as long as five weeks

Draft saved Draft deleted