1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Midwestern ice/snow storm

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OnTheRiver, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Last week's storm, which pretty much did what all the forecasters were saying it would do around the DC/Balto area, completely crippled the region. There's still several inches of snow on the ground, still trees limbs scattered where they shouldn't be, and hell some people still don't have power back.

Luckily, this storm seems to be ready to spare us from too much more than freezing rain. Storms that move in from the west tend to be weakened by the mountains and don't drop much frozen precipitation on us. Those that hit the gulf coast states and then ride the jet stream to the north along the Atlantic coast tend to pummel us good, though this year has been somewhat of an exception (cold fronts from the NW have kept those systems to the east of the major metro areas, meaning places that don't typically get hit hard, have been).

Anyway, good luck to all of you out there in flyover land, as well as the northeast. This storm could suck for a lot of you. I'm sick of all this crap.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My state is so damn broke they won't have enough salt trucks or plows on the road for the morning commute. It will be awful. I will risk my life getting to work among swarms of moron drivers just because my place of business doesn't believe in snow days. I can totally work from home and get just as much done, but our CEO assumes everyone has a Range Rover that can get them to work safely.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What is the most accurate website for weather updates? Weather.com is a joke.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Already had some freezing drizzle. I love how people still drive normally as if the roads are fine just because they can't see ice like snow.

Be careful out there folks. I think we'll be lucky in that we're at the start of the system and supposed to get 4-6 inches of snow, but I know others will get at least double that.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Mizzou, noaa.gov is official U.S. site. Type in name of city or town and state and you get a forecast.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That site is 10X better than weather.com.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I use that site a lot. Also know game management officials for major college teams who swear by wunderground.com.

9. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Intellicast has hour-by-hour forecasts that are spot on for my area.

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I have always found AccuWeather to be the best. A couple of years ago, NWS was scaring everybody, saying we could get up to an inch of ice, but AccuWeather stuck to its prediction of less than .25, and that's what we got.

AccuWeather has bumped up its snow prediction to 13.3 inches for us. NWS says we could get up to 20.

11. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

And as Football _Bat pointed out, the post above was the most predictable forecast of all for this thread.

12. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Continuing Bubbler's earlier thought, every time management makes me go out and write one of these impending Snowmageddon stories, I make sure to use "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!" as the headline.

Draft saved Draft deleted