1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Midwestern ice/snow storm

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OnTheRiver, Jan 30, 2011.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Snow's not much to get yourself in a twist about in the winter in the Midwest, but the size and scope of what is predicted to unfold over the next few days is pretty impressive:

* Two feet or more of snow possible in some areas, from northern Illinois into northern Indiana and Michigan.

* A half-inch of ice from freezing rain across central Illinois and central Indiana, with *even more* possible on Wednesday.

Last time the middle of America saw a winter storm of this potential was in January 2009, when hell came to southern Indiana and Kentucky and, for about a week, set the entire region back 75 years.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

To 1850?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

People are already panicking here in SE Kansas. I don't know if it's the cold, the ice, or the expected 6 inches of snow that have people worried more.

It was in the 60s here the past two days. Today it was 31 at noon and 27 at 3 p.m. We're supposed to get ice tomorrow night, "heavy snow accumulation" Tuesday and a high of 11 on Wednesday.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

People who panic about weather are stupid. What in a blue fuck's worth of good does panicking do? And my locale is right in the crosshairs of this beast.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It was 60 on Friday and Saturday here. We're supposed to get down to -9 Monday night, high of -3 on Tuesday, low of -17 on Tuesday night. Only 3-6 inches of snow in the forecast though, but I'd much rather there be 18 inches of snow and it stay in the 20s than this super-cold that's coming in.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

By Wednesday, this thing is supposed extend from Oklahoma City to Caribou, Maine...one of the largest storm systems in history.
    Of course, last week we were supposed to get 6-10 inches and got up to 19 in some areas. So maybe this week they'll miss by that much in the other direction.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/30/winter.storm/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It sounds like this thing could actually affect Super Bowl preparations if not the game itself. Dallas is certainly not immune to snow and ice.

8. printdust

printdust New Member

Nah. It'll be out of here by Thursday or Friday.

Meanwhile, deadlines at many of your papers will be pushed back two hours.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'm glad my wife insisted I buy a new snowblower. The great Tom Skilling says Midway Airport will get hit the worst -- an amazingly precise 24.3 inches -- and that's only 8 miles away.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Can't wait for three years and the big game in the Meadowlands.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Getting down to -20 in Dickinson, North Dakota, with -40 wind chills Monday night. It's still snowing. We've had about 6-7 inches so far. Will probably get an inch or two by morning.

It got colder when I was living in western Minnesota. -40 on a few occasions. It's not fun to get gas when it's that cold.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Al Gore predicts that by then East Rutherford will be 80 degrees.

Draft saved Draft deleted