1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Midwest earthquake??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Earthquake insurance, baby! E-A-R-T-H-Q-U-A-K-E I-N-S-U-R-A-N-C-E! :D

2. joe

joe Active Member

All my daydreams are disasters
    She's the one I think I love
    Rivers burn and then run backwards
    For her, that's enough

They all come from New York City
    And they woke me up at dawn
    She walked with me to the fountain
    And she held onto my arm

Come on, do what you did, roll me under New Madrid
    Shake my baby and please bring her back
    'Cause death won't even be still, caroms over the landfill
    Buries us all in its broken back

There's a man of conviction
    And although he's getting old
    Mr. Browning has a prediction
    And we've all been told

So come on back from New York City
    Roll your trucks in at dawn
    Walk with me to the fountain
    And hold onto my arm

Come on, do what you did, roll me under New Madrid
    Shake my baby and please bring her back
    'Cause death won't even be still, caroms over the landfill
    Buries us all in its broken back

-- Uncle Tupelo

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

At the first paper I worked at, two days before that predicted date we sold a double-truck ad to the local utility company with all of these instructions on what to do in case of an earthquake. So, we made money on it.

I was laying out Page 1 the day of the predicted quake. My headline was, "So, where's the earthquake?" I thought later I would have really felt like shit had one hit after the paper came out.

4. joe

joe Active Member

Felt nothing here in Columbia, Mo.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Fuck it's been a morning here in Evansville.

And that aftershock felt like the hand of god working us over.

6. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

My mom, who lives in Louisville, said she felt it this morning. They've felt a couple aftershocks since she went into work this morning, and her office is about six or seven miles from downtown.

7. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

There was one about 4-5 years ago in the Midwest, again late evening/early morning hours, and I remember thinking someone walked out the front door and slammed it really, really hard. Hard enough to shake the whole house for five seconds.

I didn't realize until I woke up and watched the news the next morning that it was actually an earthquake. I think it was like 5.0 or something. Just a weird sensation.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Am in the Westin in downtown Chicago, it woke me up, but I had a feeling of "did something just move?" then I said nahhhh, must have been a dream, then tried to fall asleep, but couldn't, so about 4:50, I turned on TV and saw the locals started their 5AM newscasts a little early and said, huh, I'm not nuts.

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I gave mine up a couple years ago. Ever since the Northridge quake, the quake insurance here sucks. It doesn't pay even close to rebuilding cost. You're better off not being insured and qualifying for government aid.

10. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

The big one will also cause massive changes to the course of the Mississippi, which does not mean good things downstream -- Vicksburg, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, etc.

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I appreciated your story :D

12. rube

rube Active Member

It woke me up ... but I was on my way to a hangover and I just figured it was a big ass thunderbolt or something.
    A thunderbolt that lasted 15 seconds and shook my bed ... like I said, I was full of alcohol.

Draft saved Draft deleted