1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Midwest earthquake??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

TV newscast captures quake:

http://video.ap.org/v/default.aspx?mk=en-ap&g=5126e44f-f1ac-4445-aa35-2dd595b9ae5f&p=ENAPus_ENAPus&f=TXSHE&t=s201fg=tool

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Aftershock a little while ago was a 4.5.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That weatherman rocked. Didn't phase him at all.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

So what are the chances these are a precursor to "The Big Event?"

5. Rambler

Rambler Member

I'm in downtown Chicago and it woke my wife and I up. Our building was making funny noises (more than usual) and it was strange to lay there and feel it happen (insert lame sex joke here).

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

How fucking nice that the AP runs ADVERTISEMENTS before their own news videos. Also nice to know that Evansville was more with it than my own city's TV newsies, who probably also thought it was a passing train or something.

Anyway, I live in a brick house in the New Madrid/Wabash Valley fault zone. They say if the New Madrid ever goes as it did in 1806, you can kiss the majority of every brick house goodbye in a 300-mile radius.

This morning, I thanked God I actually bought earthquake insurance.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update, Gloomy Gus.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He's just repeating what the experts have long said about New Madrid. If the big one ever happens on that fault line, say goodbye to St. Louis and Memphis.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thanks. Now I feel a lot better. So Cleveland will be spared?

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

They've being saying for years that New Madrid is overdue. When I was at Ball State, I remember some crackpot geologist actually predicted the date of the next New Madrid "big one". Got a lot of media attention, scared a lot of old people.

History Channel did one of those what if disaster shows on the New Madrid fault. Bye, bye, St. Louis, Memphis and any populated area within 300 miles of the epicenter (maybe OTR and I can room together in a tent).

Worse, there are literally city blocks full of masonary-supported housing (brick, etc.), and nearly all are presumed to be toast, with the damage strewn in city streets, thereby preventing rescue personnel from reaching homes, etc.

Among other things, because of the unstable ground in this part of the midwest, there's the threat of liquefication in the river cities, especially St. Louis. Essentially, the ground becomes too unstable to hold off the water and the water "reclaims" an area that had once been marshland. It's a big issue in St. Louis as it is presumed many of the bridge approaches to the city would be threatened by liquefication, especially on the Illinois side of the river.

The freakiest thing was the phenomena of "sand geysers".

You'd have to look it up for a technical explanation, but basically, during the 1806 New Madrid quake, the lower third of Illinois and southeast Missouri were terrorized by these geysers that would pop up out of nowhere and shoot sand, dirt, etc., hundreds of feet in the air. No one but pioneers lived in the region then, but now, it would just be another chapter of hell on earth.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That whackjob got coverage in every newspaper in the region from the Post-Dispatch to Memphis to the Little Rock papers.

And it wasn't just old people who got scared. Beale Street was a ghost town the night before it was supposed to hit.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Okay, so the scariest environment imaginable. Thanks. That's all you gotta say, scariest environment imaginable. /Owen Wilson, Armageddon

Draft saved Draft deleted