1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Midwest earthquake??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Apr 18, 2008.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I never heard 5.9 this morning -- I heard 5.4 initially.

No damage to report near the epicenter, other than a chimney down and a few wall cracks, including some at an elementary school.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

One of my neighbors in beautiful Oak Lawn, Ill., is telling me how it sounded like a tornado last night, and I have to tell him, sheepishly, "uh, I totally slept through it."

Then again, I have small children, and he doesn't.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

People in my neck of the woods still remember when we got a glancing blow from a low magnitude (4.1 magnitude at its Lancaster, Pa. epicenter) earthquake back in 1984. The strongest earthquake Maryland ever had confirmed was a 3.1-magnitude quake back in 1978. My area felt some of the effects of it, just enough for a few "what the fuck"s.

I'm lucky Dad and I didn't feel any earthquakes when we were in Los Angeles in '06.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I live about an hour north of Niceville and didn't feel it.

However, I did wake up at about 4:40 a.m. and look at the clock this morning. I don't think any shaking woke me up. I think it was my subconscious alarm clock because that's about the time I normally wake up.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

When the New Madrid pops, it might mean the country gets a new great lake with millions dead and trillions of dollars in damages.
    New Madrid has the potential to be a country buster.
    But on a happier note, glad to hear no one died in Indiana.

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

The Pope visits the United States and an earthquake rumbles through the midwest? Uh oh.

7. We're on the top floor of a three story apartment building. I wake up this morning to my bed shaking like something out of the exorcist, the canopy pounding against the wall. But, I'm out of it completely, look at my fiancee who just woke up and ask her what the hell is going on. She says, "I think our fucking neighbors are doing it".

Then, the shaking stops, I look at her and say, "Wow, he really went hard but sure didn't last very long."

We both fall back asleep within seconds.

Three hours later, she's on her way to work when she calls to wake me up and tell me that we didn't have inconsiderate neighbors, but had in fact just nearly entirely slept through an earthquake.

Weird morning.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

A friend of mine in East Lansing says people she knows swear they felt it up there. I think they just wanted to fit in, but still.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Just had another shake here in the middle of Illinois.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My parents, who live about 40 minutes south of Lexington, felt nothing. But there's damage in Louisville (about two hours away). Weird.

11. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

You felt it too.

Not nearly as bad as earlier today, but still, this is getting unnerving.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I about equidistant from OTR from the epicenter the other direction. We just had another aftershock about five minutes ago.

Holy fuck. It feels like your whole house is going downhill on a sled.

The one this morning scared the living fuck out of me. Woke me up in the middle of REM sleep. I actually dreamed the earthquake first, then woke up and was confused if it was real. When my wife said, "WTF?" I knew it was.

My city is a cacophony of car alarms right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted