1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Midnight Cowboy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Dec 6, 2006.

1. What about the children?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It was rated X when it won Best Picture. Would it even be an R now?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They can buy their own damn bubble-gum flavor prescription medication to abuse.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Didja know?

Kiel Martin was originally cast to play Joe Buck, but was replaced by Jon Voight. ALso, the movie features the first time the word "scuzzy" was used on screen.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The masturbation scene with Brad Davis is creepy. And that Turkish prison warden? What a sick fuck. And I like the Giorgio Moroder theme song -- Chase -- cool-ass Euro-synth.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Sorry, I couldn't hear you -- I was listening to my Bose Wave Radio.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Bobby Eaton and Dennis Condrey surely still hear that song in their dreams.

8. EE94

EE94 Guest

That was an ad-lib too. Car moved before it was supposed to, Hoffman stays in character.
    Too bad he grew up to be an annoying guy.

9. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Would a major studio even release it now? You know it would end up debuting at Sundance and running on the arthouse circuit...and the whole time, a bunch of loudmouths would be griping about the gay content and a bunch of whiney activists would be complaining that there was no Joe Buck-on-Ratso action.

10. Every time I see that OTHER Joe Buck -- son of Jack -- on TV, I always laugh.

Wonder if the old man knew of the "Midnight Cowboy" Joe Buck when he named his son.

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

I believe they adjusted the system the next year and it would have been an R in 1972. There was some sort of scene (I never saw the movie, but I recall reading about the ratings system) which gave it an automatic X rating.

Draft saved Draft deleted