1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Midnight Cowboy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Dec 6, 2006.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Available via Comast on Demand this month....

Damn, Brenda Vaccaro was hot...love the smoldering voice.

And the classic Dustin Hoffman/Ratso Rizzo line: "I'M WALKIN' HERE!!!"

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

When you mention Brenda Vaccaro, my first thought is of the 40 + year old woman with the husky voice doing tampon commercials in the early 80s. I'm not sure I even knew what a tampon is used for at the time, but there was something about her that made me instinctively uncomfortable.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Watch Midnight Cowboy and see how hot she was in 1969.

4. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

That's such a great movie. Hoffman is just amazing in it.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A relic from a time when Hollywood understood that a visceral experience is what moviegoers wanted, not necessarily a happily-ever-after ending. I'm guessing it's also a decent rendering of the wild, squalid days of NYC. That main song by Nilsson was very good.

6. slowcenter

slowcenter Member

Saw an interview where the director said that the taxi thing wasn't planned -- it nearly ran down Dustin Hoffman -- and Hoffman stayed in character and ad-libbed that whole scene. Unbelievable!

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I prefer "Midnight Cowboy II in 3-D," starring Dr. Tongue, Woody and Joe Walsh. Y'all.

/on the last SCTV on NBC

8. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

"Everybody's Talkin'" written by Fred Neill, performed by Nilsson.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

hoffman seconded that cab deal wasn't planned on his session with james lipton. great job by a n.y. cabbie, busting through a movie shoot.

great effin' movie.

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Absolutely essential information without which you cannot fully enjoy this movie: The opening Texas scenes were shot in my wife's hometown (Big Spring, TX), and her Mom knew the woman pictured drinking a Coke on the bus-stop bench.

The woman said they shot the scene so many times, and therefore she drank so much Coke, that she "was burping all the rest of the day."

NOW you can appreciate the film.

11. Now it can be told:
    finishthehat is Paul Harvey.
    Good day.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am amazed at the positive reaction to this film, which is one of those Hollywood pieces of trash advancing the gay agenda and romanticizing illegal drug use.

Abuse of prescription medications is the only thing that should be tolerated by right-thinking folks.

Draft saved Draft deleted