1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Midland (TX) Reporter-Telegram Designer/Sports Reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by khaywood, Mar 24, 2008.

1. khaywood

khaywood New Member

The Midland (Texas) Reporter-Telegram, a Hearst Corporation Newspaper (20,000 daily, 25,000 Sunday) in West Texas, is seeking a designer/sports reporter for our sports section.
    We are looking for someone who can come up with fresh design ideas and work to find ways to enhance the look of our section. Even though this is primarily a design and copy editing position, there will be some writing as we do everything here.
    Our focus is on high school sports, especially football, but the Permian Basin’s sports scene is complemented by a Double-A baseball team, minor league hockey, indoor football, a yearly Nationwide Tour golf event and a very active local golf scene. We also provide limited coverage of Texas Tech University sports.
    Candidates should have a strong knowledge of AP Style, and experience with Quark Xpress, Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Freehand is preferred.
    Experience is a plus but recent college graduates will be considered.

Please send resume, clips and layouts to:
    Len Hayward, Sports Editor
    P.O. Box 1650
    Midland, TX 79701
    hayward@mrt.com

For more information:
    Len Hayward, Sports Editor
    (432) 687-8846
    hayward@mrt.com

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

This is a good job and Len is a good dude to work for, though he struggles to drink a full schooner of Shiner at times.

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Opening in Midland.

Interviews in Abilene.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

4. YerkillinmePetey

YerkillinmePetey New Member

They're not connected in any way. The guy leaving here is moving to Houston because his wife got a job.

If you don't mind West Texas, it's not a bad place to live. It's five hours from the major cities, but the Midland/Odessa metro area has a population of 220,000 or something like that, so it's not like you have make a trip to Dallas for groceries. It's a self-sustaining area. Plus, Hearst is one of the few places not laying people off left, right and upside down. I came here from a family-owned paper, and was very concerned about working for a chain. It's been a pleasant surprise.

Any questions, PM me.

5. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

Is there an Old Navy there?

I've started basing my opinions on if I want to live somewhere or not based off the presence of an Old Navy.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yes.

7. jps

jps Active Member

So ... good thing or bad?

8. Old Navy rocks. Good place for cheap work clothes that last a good while (good for folks in the Fourth Estate)

I've only been to Midland a couple of times. I found the folks friendly during a few bar crawls in the Tall City.

Don't know much about the paper. Anybody who has read "Friday Night Lights," should know a little about the town.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

i hear they are down to their final four and hoping to hire quickly.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

midland does a very nice job with what they're trying to do ... and len is quality people.

Draft saved Draft deleted