1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

middle son shockey...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, May 22, 2010.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

that's great advice. ithaca's program is stellar!

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Don't rule out the Martin Luther King scholarship that got Brook Hundley through Ithaca.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

As a rising senior, he doesn't need to fill out the FAFSA immediately, but he should really do it.
    I've seen estimates of 40 percent of students who qualify for financial aid never access it.
    If he doesn't qualify for a grant or waiver of any kind, it'll help figure out what he can get in Stafford loans.
    Finally, you and he should spend his senior year checking out every Rotary, Lions, Elks, Kiwanis, etc. club in you area. Many of them offer small schoalrships, but a kid that works at it can patch together a decent amounty of financing that way.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'm an idiot. mentioned this to the much wiser mrs. shockey when she returned from work a few minutes ago. mentioned this deal to her and she looked at me like i'd lost my mind.

"that's the deal jesse (the son of a friend of ours) has at ithaca," she said. "relax, we're all over that. jesse loves it and they pay for EVERYTHING. even a computer."

the scholarship winners must maintain a 3.5 grade average but so what? it's too good to be true. reason to hope: jesse, attending the same h.s. as middle son shockey, had a slightly lower average and a lower sat's score than middle son.

file this under "too good to be true," but a poor father can dream, no? het, dreunc, please fill me in on what the campus and campus-life are like, either here of via p.m.

OH, AND A HUGE "THANK YOU" TO ALL MY SportsJournalists.com BRETHREN FOR WEIGHING IN ON THIS TO HELP AN IGNORANT FOOL FEEL HIS WAY....

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

as a proud alumni of grinnell college i can say that my alma mater does incredible things and turns out incredibly accomplished alumni (excluding me). our endowment is still north of $1 billion despite the recession. shockey, PM me if he's interested in a small liberal arts school in the middle of iowa where the kids get a fantastic education but also have a damn good time because they make their own fun by necessity.

6. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

This thread proves that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. On vacation, I visited U of Chicago a few years ago and thought it was one of the ugliest campuses I'd ever set foot on. A buddy of mine that was looking at their law school agreed with me. He ended up at Harvard Law, but visited several of the top tier law schools, and felt that the U of C was the worst campus of them all.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

actually, i don't know that you'll get much argument here. a major reason middle man shockey has redirected his chicago-area focus towards lovely northwestern over u of chicago (great school, depressing aesthetics).

Draft saved Draft deleted