1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

middle son shockey...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, May 22, 2010.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

is finishing his junior year of h.s. is in the process of selecting which colleges most appeal to him. his grades are excellent -- low 90's average in all honors program -- as are his extracurriculars --on football and lacrosse teams (but far from scholarship material; on editorial board of school paper; officer on s.a.d.d. committee and other stuff) -- and he just kicked butt on his sat's (1400 -- 700 verbal and math; on the neuvo third part for writing(?) he scored a mighty-fine 620, for a total of 2020. though i believe the 1400 is still the most influential. whatever.

anyway, you get the idea. he's also a very cool and popular kid, nowhere close to nerdy. as you can see, i'm a huge fan.

anyway, thanks to the ridonculous (to me, anyway) sat scores (i barely hit the 1100 mark back in the day, as i recall, and eldest son shockey scored a sterling 1250 to vault himself into binghamton), we think he now has a legit shot at squeaking into cornell, which may be his first choice. wherever he goes, we think/hope/understand he should be able to get a pretty good chunk of scholarship money, which he'll need plenty of to go anywhere outside of a state school, which he understands.

at the least, he's perfectly okay if he follows his big bro to the bing. my kids have a great understanding that we are po', but it would warm our hearts if all his fine work has earned him enough money to leave the state.

besides cornell, the other schools presently on his radar include the university of delaware and ... here's where i could use anybody's knowledge... the UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO, which, truth be told, i am totally unfamilar with.

i know it's got an excellent rep, but what's the skinny on what it's known for? he's interested in writing/journalism/communications and we just want to be sure wherever he decides to go is strong in these areas.

obviously, i'm just in the beginning stages of investigating this stuff to assist him. i haven't even gone to chicago's web site yet; that's my next stop. but i rely very much on input from my knowledgable SportsJournalists.com brothers and sisters for this info, too.

so this was simply a rambling. way too long and overwritten way of asking: WHAT'S THE SKINNY ON THE UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO? ??? ??? ???

2. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

It's probably ranked among the Top 10 universities in the country. At least I think it was last year, according to US News & World Report. It's located in one of the greatest cities in the world and would afford the richest opportunities available. It's also one of the most expensive schools in the country. Any kid that had the opportunity to attend The University of Chicago would be a lucky person, indeed. What else do you really need to know?

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I stopped reading after that. Visit the campus and he'll pick UD in a heartbeat.

4. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

U. of Chicago is like a colder Delaware.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

he's been there -- his best bud's sister goes there -- and agrees it was lovely. but not so sure it wowed him any more than cornell surely will. i could certainly envision him at delaware but if he is accepted at cornell, too, it would be mighty hard to dismiss the ivy league cache.

take cornell out of the equation and i'd certainly put my money on delaware at the moment. beautiful place, excellent school.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The Big Ten wants to re-admit it so it can have a foothold in Chicago, since Northwestern hasn't been delivering...

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

U. of Chicago used to have a great football team about 105 years ago, led by a Hall of Fame coach with a star that sat out the big game because he ate seven pounds worth of food before the game to win a bet, then topped it off with 13 eggs.

That's all I have.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Shockster,

I'm assuming you're familiar with this, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAFSA

A lot of parents assume they don't qualify for aid and therefore don't bother filling out the 130-page (or whatever) FAFSA form... only to discover around junior year they do indeed qualify for thousands of dollars in grants, low-interest loans, work-study, obscure scholarships, etc.

To me, the mark of a truly great school is one that will take your FAFSA results and make up 100% of the difference... somehow, come hell or high water.

Here is a list of the only 100% need-blind schools for U.S. students. Note Cornell is one of them:

Amherst College
    Beloit College
    Boston College
    Bowdoin College
    Brandeis University
    Brown University
    California Institute of Technology
    Carnegie Mellon University
    Claremont McKenna College
    College of the Holy Cross
    Columbia University
    Cornell University
    Cooper Union
    Dartmouth College
    Davidson College
    Denison University
    Duke University
    Emory University
    Georgetown University
    Grinnell College
    Hamilton College
    Harvard University
    Haverford College
    Knox College
    Lawrence University
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology
    Middlebury College
    Northwestern University
    Phillips Academy
    Pomona College
    Princeton University
    Rice University
    Roxbury Latin
    Stanford University
    Swarthmore College
    University of Chicago
    University of Miami
    University of Notre Dame
    University of Pennsylvania
    University of Richmond
    University of Rochester
    University of Southern California
    University of Virginia
    Vassar College
    Vanderbilt University
    Wake Forest University
    Wellesley College
    Wesleyan University
    Williams College
    Yale University

9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

University of Chicago at College Confidental.

Grain of salt, etc..

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-chicago/

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If he's serious about journalism/communications, I'd look at Northwestern before U of C, especially for an undergrad. U of C is sort of wedged into a very rough area of Chicago; the campus is very urban and has more of a grad school feel to it. I could be wrong but it has a huge international population that go there for the science and business programs. I never thought of it as a liberal arts/journalism school.

Northwestern is certainly one of the premier journo schools, and is just beautiful--sits on the lake, right next to the north side of Chicago...Evanston is a fun town.

Would not want to pay for either, and the weather is famously horrible.

Does he have any interest in NYU or Syracuse, closer to home?

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

yes, syracuse is certainly in the mix. 8)

and great advice steering us to northwestern as a much better fit in that area of the country.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Yeah, if he's into journalism, University of Chicago isn't a very good choice. For anything else, though, it's a great school.

Draft saved Draft deleted