1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Middle schooler picks Washington

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dog eat dog world, Jul 27, 2012.

1. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Ridiculous but this is the age and it isn't the first.

http://tracking.si.com/2012/07/26/eighth-grade-qb-tate-martell-commits-to-washington/?sct=obinsite

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He looks good to Penn State.

Too soon?

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

When does Mike Leach call out his fat little girlfriend?

4. CA_journo

CA_journo Member

Naturally, LSU has already done this...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8199497/soon-8th-grader-dylan-moses-offered-lsu-tigers-scholarship

Although something seems amiss... the kid is about to start 8th grade, and is 14. I was 11/12 in 8th grade.

5. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Held back a year. My oldest did it and was 14 starting the 8th.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The NCAA has enough goddamn rules about everything else all the way down to what your socks have to look like, how about this:

Neither a school nor a scholar-athlete may make a binding scholarship commitment until the student has completed five semesters of high school (i.e., midpoint of the junior year).

7. Not really necessary. Commitments don't mean anything until the athlete signs the letter of intent. See: Newton, Cam.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

They already have that rule

These sports arguments would rank high on my list of the most worthless. I verbally committed to Columbia when I was in seventh grade.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Kentucky basketball did this a couple of years back. In fact, would be interested to see a follow up on if the kid is any good in high school.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

He's now in college, at tiny Sonoma State:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/varsitytimesinsider/2011/12/boys-basketball-michael-avery-commits-to-sonoma-state.html

Calipari pulled his scholarship offer the moment he was hired. Seems the kid peaked in 8th grade.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You might have been 12 (and turned 13 in the fall) but I very much doubt that you were any younger than that. A person who graduates high school at 17 would have entered eighth grade at 12. The old "normal" was 13. The new "normal," especially for athletes, is to take an extra year whether by starting late or repeating a grade before the HS eligibility clock begins. I think Jimmy Clausen was 20 by the time freshman classes started at Notre Dame.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

my kid is normal age for her class and is starting eighth grade. she's 13. will turn 14 in november.

Draft saved Draft deleted