1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Middle school sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I run middle school and other subvarsity stuff in briefs.

But my newest task: train the middle school coaches to send me an email instead of an illegible fax.

2. longjumper42

longjumper42 Member

If I don't die from the black lung, I'll make sure I tell you how my excursion is...

3. statrat

statrat Member

I hear you. I take the photographs, design the pages, write the articles and a column, do my best to toss in a quick story on the middle schools or non-varsity teams when I have space and/or time. Got complaints from a mother about not covering middle school football because "they work so hard" and "its really important to them" blah blah blah. Went and covered the next game top to bottom. My lead photo was of her kid absolutely getting splattered on a block by the other team's fullback. Haven't heard a peep since...

4. longjumper42

longjumper42 Member

[/quote]

My lead photo was of her kid absolutely getting splattered on a block by the other team's fullback.
    [/quote]

Nice...maybe I should try that this weekend with the super awesome middle school bball game I have to go to.... just some lead art of a kid getting rocked in the face with the ball.. because as we all know... 9 out of 10 kids in MS can't catch a basketball.

5. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Nope. Rule's a rule. But I would run a team photo with a short description. Then again, I'm at a small paper. But no stories. I got a call from a woman in one town upset that a team from another town got big play for winning..... a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP. You give one middle-school and JV team a story and that's all you'll do, and you're writing for 20 people, max, instead of the several thousand who get the paper and don't give two shakes of a stick for the martyrdom of hard work these oppressed glory-seeking parents want you to highlight.

6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

This is what we did last year. Main local HS' freshman team goes 9-0. Sophomore team goes 8-1. Varsity went 0-9. So we did a story on what the underclass success means for the future of the varsity program.

Outside of that, sophomores and freshmen get a few graphs in a roundup.

Draft saved Draft deleted