1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Middle school sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

your editor is an asshole.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There ya go. If they want to type up a little blurb and send you a photo, you can scan it in, type up a very tightly edited synopsis of the information, and run it on page 6D some day when you have a few inches to kill.

But you are never, ever, ever ever ever, going out and personally covering anything below high school varsity. As soon as the Thanksgiving Day football tab is on the streets, you gotta get to work on the preseason previews for boys' basketball.

Boys' varsity basketball, that is.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Unless you work for jrc...

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

At my old shop we had a once-a-week page in the county section (this is a top-25 daily with daily regional editions) that was all community stuff: girl scouts making a fortune selling cookies, retirement home women knitting a six-mile quilt, etc. Middle school sports went there too. They could get a little write-up and have the team photo run as well. Little Johnny Kung Fu with his 200 trophies also got pub there.

That page, and the gal in the office who would cheerfully put it together AND let me forward all the parent phone calls to her, were pure bliss. It was darn near as good of a perk as paid vacation.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Someone makes a fortune on a movie about a walk-on football player at Notre Dame and suddenly every mom whose kid walks on at D-III Muhlenberg or some other such athletic abyss thinks their kid's story is just as great.

Sorry, mom. Kids walk on at universities all over the country. After all, the scholarship players need somebody to abuse in practice. Call me when that walk-on earns a scholarship, or contributes in some meaningful way to the team other than "The practice squad really helped us prepare for the Crappy U. this week."

6. turnovers

turnovers Member

No middle school sports would be nice ...

Unless you can't help it. Unless you were hired out of college at a 250,000 circ for pretty good money covering youth sports exclusively. Unless you took said job as a foot in the door at a major daily, to get quality editing, and to avoid working at the Podunk Banner-Democrat. ...

How odd is that? That's me.

I just think what Florida Today does with Little Leagues should be the norm for that kind of stuff. Parents can post all their scores and photos and show them off to their friends until kingdom come.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well put.

8. No middle school sports? Sure, but remember, there are no absolutes (including that one). Just don't close your mind to a good story, no matter where it is. Back in the day, I had a middle school coach wearing me out about doing a story on his point guard. "Best point guard in the county!" he gushed. Now, the county HS was a district champion, had several players left over from a state championship team, and a few would play on the (small) college level. But I gave in, mostly to get him off my back.

The kid was amazing. 12 or 13 years old, only about 5-7 or so, and just amazing. So I went to a couple games, wrote a takeout feature, everybody was happy. The kid played D-I in a major conf and had a solid NBA career. I'd out myself if I mentioned the team or school involved, but suffice to say, the kid was a great source as I moved through the college and NBA writing ranks. And he would tell his teammates how I "discovered" him and was the first to write about him. Gotta love gratitude.

9. scribeinwiscy

scribeinwiscy Member

BigPern, while I agree a daily/weekly/annual story on local kids who go on to make a handful of receptions during their college career (see my first full-time SE) is not a good idea, your discount of Division III athletes and walk-ons is unfair. There are all sorts of good stories with those kids. No need to go overboard, I agree. But if you discount every kid who isn't a D-I prospect or blue chipper, you will get beat by someone who does their homework, IMHO. :-*

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Of course, I understand that. I was referring more to the parents who suddenly think that every walk-on is a Disney movie in the making and expect you to make sure you treat every walk-on equally. "Johnny Jockstrap got a story, my little Timmy Twostep deserves one too!"

11. longjumper42

longjumper42 Member

I am with bigpern on MS sports coverage. I work for a tiny tiny 4,000 daily and I swear I have every mother and father within 100 miles who's son/daughter filling up my inbox and vmail with how I just need to do a story on timmy/tommy/sally/... it drives me nuts... I am a ONE person sports desk... so along with just covering all varsity sports and doing my columns, etc. I literally don't have an hour of free time in my day to cover the MS. Yet they still expect me to do it.
    My publisher also expects it because his kids play... I seriously want to shoot myself.... please.. if anyone has a gun send it my way.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

There's always coal-mining work. Try it for a few weeks and get back to us.

Draft saved Draft deleted