1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mid-life crisis, Part 1: I need those sunglasses

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

My eyes are annoyingly sensitive to light, so one of my only indulgences is a sharp pair of sunglasses Mrs. Editude found a few years ago. In addition to having the male-required wallet and keys on me at all times, I lug these shades around as if they were keys to my safe-deposit box.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Hey, what about me?!

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Same here. I had surgery on one eye about four years ago, so I needed a good pair. My eyes are still a bit sensitive, so I rarely go anywhere without them.

4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Gotta say, I appreciate the thread. I'm probably a good 15 years away from my own midlife crisis, but I often wonder what it will be like. And the thought of launching a pre-emptive strike on it appeals to me greatly.
    As for your dilemma, I say go for the sunglasses lest you succumb to a more impulsive and more expensive indulgence. In the grand scheme of things, $200-$500 is pretty cheap for a midlife crisis.

5. outofplace

I'm putting off my mid-life crisis as long as possible. I figure if I can push the middle back, I can push the end back, too.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Mid-life is a fallacy anyway. The life expectancy of the average American male is still only around 75.
    That puts mid-life at 32-33, not 40 and certainly not 50.

7. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

The racing scenes in Grand Prix are awesome, but pretty much everything else about the movie sucks. LeMans is better because they were smart enough to get rid of almost everything but the racing scenes.

8. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Fantastic. I'm much closer than I thought. I'd better get on it.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Way to make us all feel better, Bucko.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Wouldn't mid-life be 37.5 then? Or does it come early? (hi BYH!)

11. outofplace

Don't fuck with my delusions, dammit!

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

We're all fucked anyway since we're all going to die in 2012. Our world is a slushie. Buy sunglasses. [/multicrossthreading]

Draft saved Draft deleted