1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Microsoft Office 2007: Is it worth getting?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RokSki, May 5, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Just got a new system, and it has the trial version of Microsoft Office 2007 on it.

I think the last system I was using has Office 2001 on it.

Any thoughts/recommendations? Any reason(s) to get the latest version?

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Re: Microsoft Office 2007: Is is worth getting?

I'm not sure if "is" is work getting.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Re: Microsoft Office 2007: Is is worth getting?

Ha ha. Let me fix that. :)

Note: My original thread title was "...: Is is worth getting?"

4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I'm already using PowerPoint and Publisher 2003, so those upgrades would only be 1 version, unlike Excel and Word. Never used OneNote before, so I don't know what, if anything, I'm missing in that regard.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

If you've already got a version of Office XP or something like that, don't bother. You're going to have to re-learn a bunch of stuff, and the improvements aren't worth it.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Thanks, OTR. That's what I have, yeah. I'm switching from Windows XP to Windows Vista, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to use the old software, but if I can, I will.

Thanks for the info. :)

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I installed Office XP on my Vista machine. It's fine.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Got my Vista upgrade CDs a few weeks ago, but it seems to be a massive pain in the ass to install. They want me to wipe the entire hard drive clean. Egads to backing everything up.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

The only reason I have Vista is because I bought a new machine ... it ain't worth upgrading from XP.

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

You're right. I'm going through the upgrading/transferring hell right now just to be done with it, once and for all. It really sucks @ss, to say the least.

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Vista's not BAD, really, it's just not necessary. It seems like a Microsoft money grab. It eats a ton of RAM, and other than being prettier than XP, it has no apparent "qualities" to make someone think, "Man, I really need to upgrade to Vista."

Now, upgrading from Windows ME to XP? That was like going from carving on cave walls to using a laptop.

Windows ME was the all-time winner of "OS That Sucks Biggest Cock."

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Typical Microsoft BS.

My mom was a systems analyst back in the day, and she used to wear that t-shirt around that said "Windows '95 = Mac '86."

Microsoft's stuff sucks ass. It's really too bad that they became the market standard. It's so piss-poor how they have designed their stuff

Draft saved Draft deleted