1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

micropayments and sports journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gradstudent2100, Mar 22, 2009.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

To pay it, or to whom?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

To pay it.

"Hi, I'm representing all the newspapers in the country. We'd like you to pay us $1 for each of your customers."

"No."

Now what?

3. fishwrapper

And, on the specific issue of "micro" or "burst" or "a la carte" payments, read this piece by Michael Kinsley, "You Can't Sell News by the Slice."

It pretty much puts the debate to rest. If the numbers don't work for the NY Times, where would it work?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/10/opinion/10kinsley.html?_r=1&scp=3&sq=michael%20kinsley&st=cse

4. fishwrapper

That's not quite how taxes are levied.

5. RickStain

Okay, a tax then.

I guess if you get the government to hold people up at gunpoint and give you money, that works.

There's a lot of problems, first and foremost that you are now beholden to the government for your continued existence, but I guess it actually works from a revenue standpoint.

6. fishwrapper

I'm not saying it is right or wrong.
    Professionally, I would love it. As a citizen, it would give me cause for concern. But, it is a viable option available. No other model -- no other currently being discussed -- is viable.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You absolutely need firebrand columnists to make it happen.

But, no, I wouldn't go somewhere else. I would pay to stay with the crew.

8. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

I thought this thread title referred to the salaries journalists would be getting soon

9. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

There's one of your biggest problems. You define your business model by what you, a journalist, would do.

Not by what a reader would do.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

What if SportsJournalists.com started charging ass holes for comments? Man some people would be screwed on here.

11. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Moddy could retire.

12. RickStain

This asshole, along with all the rest, would just go find somewhere else to be an asshole. That's the beauty and the horror of the internet.

Draft saved Draft deleted