1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

micropayments and sports journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gradstudent2100, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Grad student--

The idea I keep harping on is to go after the internet service providers for micro fees.

Think: The cable television model.

Right now the ISPs are raking in the cash off of somebody else's content. Assert a legal right via class action lawsuit-- a lawsuit involving some of the heavy hitters like NYT, CNN, Trib, etc.

If an internet user suddenly cannot access nyt.com, cnn.com, msnbc.com, latimes.com and chicagotribune.com on his computer or iPhone... that's a problem for the user. A few extra cents on the internet bill every month is worth it to that user to access those sites.

Think about changing your thesis, grad student. ;D

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You charge monthly

3. Simon_Cowbell

Bing-O was her name-o.

4. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Until you guys get over your issues with story comments, you're just going to keep digging the hole deeper.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

And if you call the ISPs and ask for money and they say "no," then what?

6. RickStain

The hole is sufficiently deep to bury us all. Additional depth is irrelevant at this point

7. Simon_Cowbell

"Issues"?

That is the easiest way to make money right now.

People's egos won't allow them to be silent on a story that spawns mass discussion.

How many people would drop off this site if it charged $5 a month?

8. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Are you kidding? There are enough places to bitch about stuff for free. Making people pay to comment is not a solution.

But you go ahead and try it, if you like. I'll be over there with my partner, waiting for you to buy our business model.

9. RickStain

I'm still trying to fathom why an ISP would pay a newspaper for its site. When you call and ask, it's even-money whether they just hang up or if they laugh a little first.

10. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Agreed.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Sadly, none of these would work. Or, work quick enough for any sort of salvation.
    A $1.25-$1.50 ISP service charge for payment for all the "free" news content would. Some would call it a "tax," I would call it "comeuppance."

12. RickStain

And how do you get the ISP to pay it?

Draft saved Draft deleted