1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Microfracture surgery for Tracy McGrady

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Talk about a guy that can't catch a break. The best thing for his sanity might be to call it a career.

2. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

It has definitely been a spectacular fall for a dude who used to score 30 a game. But I think some aspects of his game would translate well to a broken body and/or bad knees. Even a hobbling McGrady would still be an asset to a team as a shooter off the bench. Granted, that would be one hell of a step down in roles, but given how the Rockets have played without him the last couple years, maybe it'd be for the best.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Remember when people used to attempt to argue -- without irony -- that he was a better player than Kobe Bryant?

It's sort of like those Jordan vs. Nique debates of the late 80s. Embarrassing in retrospect.

4. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Couldn't agree more. I always thought McGrady was overrated, in part because he took so, so many long 3's and 20-footers. If you're such a star, get to the rack and get to the line more often. He probably had the skills to do it; maybe he just didn't want to. That's been the downfall of many a player who should have been better than they were. There's no excuse for taking 500 three-pointers in a season if you're only hitting 33 percent of them.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

maybe they can give him a heart transplant while he's in there.
    What a waste of talent. Lazy,Lazy player

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

So goes the luck of the franchise. I'm trying to think the last time Yao and McGrady were on the floor together and healthy for an extended period.

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Must be something in the genes, both him and his cousin Vince carter could use heart transplants.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

In 2000-01 and 2001-02, he was amazing. Carried an otherwise very poor Magic team to the playoffs both years and was outstanding, even if they lost both series.

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

True, but Jason Kidd and Amare(especially Amare) made great recoveries. I'm going to wait a year or two before I stick a fork in him. He's still a top 10 player when healthy. I think this could be a blessing in disguise. Maybe he can go to a winning team and be the number 2 or 3 guy.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Kidd was never a great athlete, but during his last year and a half with the Nets, he was two steps slower than he was when they made the Finals. He went from being a well above average man defender to a doormat.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not to worry Rocket fans -- you still have Shane Battier

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Amare was far, far younger (23) than either Webber was (30) or McGrady is (29) when he had the same procedure.

Draft saved Draft deleted