1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mickey Spillane: Dead

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by deskslave, Jul 17, 2006.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — Mickey Spillane, the macho mystery writer who wowed millions of readers with the shoot-’em-up sex and violence of gumshoe Mike Hammer, died Tuesday. He was 88.
    Spillane’s death was confirmed by Brad Stephens of Goldfinch Funeral Home in his hometown of Murrells Inlet. Details about his death were not immediately available.
    After starting out in comic books Spillane wrote his first Mike Hammer novel, “I, the Jury,” in 1946. Twelve more followed, with sales topping 100 million. Notable titles included “The Killing Man,” “The Girl Hunters” and “One Lonely Night.”
    Many of these books were made into movies, including the classic film noir “Kiss Me, Deadly” and “The Girl Hunters,” in which Spillane himself starred. Hammer stories were also featured on television in the series “Mickey Spillane’s Mike Hammer” and in made-for-TV movies. In the 1980s, Spillane appeared in a string of Miller Lite beer commercials.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Be honest: how many of us knew Mickey Spillane was still alive??

RIP, Mike Hammer.

3. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Last Tuesday?

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

If it's next Tuesday, as in tomorrow, I want to know who that AP writer is so he or she can take me out to buy lottery tickets. :D

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Somewhere, there's a blond doll crying.

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

A young Delta Burke was smokin hot on that show.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I actually thought that spaceman might be Mickey Spillane.

Glad to see you're still with us, space. 8)

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Whodunnit?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Tough break, pallie....

10. Sly

Sly Active Member

Forty-two-twelve, Basic Military Journalism. You gotta be shitting me, Joker! You think you're Mickey Spillane? Do you think you're some kind of fucking writer? [/fullmetaljacket]

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That's my sig. :p
    (Changed for today.)

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Thanks, toots. Right back at cha.

Draft saved Draft deleted