1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mick Jagger's solo crap

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Nov 1, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I freely admit my collection of well over 500 CDs and tapes contains some of the worst shit ever recorded. Yet I'm not sure I've ever heard a bigger piece of dreck than Mick Jagger's new song "Charmed Life." Good Lord. Words cannot express how truly awful this is. The video--clips of Mick mingling with the beautiful people as he babbles about his charmed life--is even worse. It's like prancing on horse tranquilizers.

The truly funny thing is it's from his new solo greatest hits. Uhh Mick? You had one hit. What's this album called? JUST ANOTHER NIGHT...AND BEYOND? (hi Junkie, come out of hiding)

Mick, you suck. Get back to playing arenas with the corpse of Keith and releasing one live album for every studio album pronto.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

A thread title that speaks the truth!

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Of course Jann Wenner's rag went brown bunny on this album an issue or two ago giving it 4 1/2 stars or something ludicrous like that.

Having said that, I think Mick's best solo song is "Throwaway" which has some cool guitar stuff from Jeff Beck.

4. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Mick Jagger should have retired 20 years ago. Hang it up, old man -- before you completely destroy the legacy of one of the greatest bands ever.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I think the Rolling Stones are still relevant.

Mick Jagger solo is not.

There's only one Mick Jagger solo song I remember, and that's because he and Lenny Kravitz sang on it: "God Gave Me Everything." It wasn't anything to write home about.

Go back to the Rolling Stones Mick. Leave the musical sludge of your solo career far behind.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Here's the pecking order when it comes to Stones gone solo ...

1. Keith Richards
    2. Mick Taylor
    3. Ron Wood
    4. Bill Wyman
    5. Ian Stewart (I presume he went solo somewhere along the way)
    6. Billy Preston (played with the Stones in the mid 70s)
    7. Gram Parsons (hung out during the Exile sessions)
    8. Peter Tosh (solo albums were on Stones' label)
    9. Liz Phair (for covering Exile in its entirety)
    10. Charlie Watts (never went solo to my knowledge, but thought about it)
    11. Lowell George (once did a speedball with Keef)
    12. Pierre Trudeau's wife (blew Keef at Maple Leaf Gardens)
    13. Ray Stevens (once thought about covering Starfucker, but opted for The Streak instead)
    14. Brian Jones (releasing solo sitar-flavored psychedelia in hell)
    15. Mick Jagger

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Great list. Good call on including Lowell George and Maggie Trudeau. I think Chuck Watts did some jazz combo thing on the side. I'd add longtime Stones keyboard guy Chuck Leavell who released some albums under the name Sea Level back in the 70s. He'd be ahead of Mick too.

8. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

I was a fan of Wandering Spirit when it first came out (1993 via a quick Google search). But that was a long time ago and I was in high school, so I can't be held accountable for all my choices then.

As for atrocious solo albums, look no further than Paul McCartney's recent outing. Another one that was roundly applauded by critics. I got it off ITunes for my mother and it was quickly deleted from my IPod.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Watts has actually released a half-dozen jazz albums.

I only have the first one, which features a big band instead of a quintet like the others, and it's pretty good as a I recall. Haven't listened to it in a long time, though.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Don't forget Mick Taylor's blues albums. So there's one more in front of Mick.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Ronnie Wood's solo stuff is surprisingly good. As for Mick, his solo album Wandering Spirit (came out around '93) is really excellent, but the rest of his solo stuff is an embarrassment.

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I'm going to have to dig out that old Watts LP -- it's apparently a rarity.

Not to mention it's a live concert, with a 32-piece band (!) and the setlist includes "Stompin' at the Savoy," "Lester Leaps In" and "Flying Home."

Of course, I probably have it on vinyl, which means I'm screwed.

Draft saved Draft deleted