1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michigan Serial Killer Arrested

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 12, 2010.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Especially enjoyed this part:

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Thornton: This is Omar Thornton, the shooter, over in Manchester.

911: Yes. Where are you, sir?

Thornton: I'm in the building. You probably want to know the reason why I shot this place up. This place is a racist place.

911: Yup, I understand that.

Thornton: They treat me bad over here. They treat all the black employees bad over here too. So I took it into my own hands and handled the problem. I wish I could have gotten more people.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's how he justified it. That doesn't mean it was his actual motive -- especially since there's no actual evidence that he was a victim of racist behavior.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yes, of course.

Also, I assume both of these mass killers were Democrats, because if they were Republicans it would have been mentioned in the lead.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. That's good. You're probably right.

6. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

"Irregardless of all that, y'all mean someone from Michigan's gettin' taken away in cuffs, and it ain't me? Holy smokes."

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

YF is right.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

BTW, to YF's point about consistency, here's an AP read from yesterday on the Connecticut killings:

MANCHESTER, Conn. (AP) — Employees at a Connecticut beer distributor where nine died in a shooting rampage paused to remember the victims before returning to work.
    Hartford Distributors Inc. reopened its Manchester offices and warehouse Wednesday morning, eight days after the rampage. Workers observed a moment of silence in the parking lot and company President Ross Hollander offered words of encouragement to employees.
    The reopening came a week and a day after police say company driver Omar Thornton shot eight people to death, wounded two others and killed himself. It happened after he was shown video evidence of him stealing beer and was asked to resign.
    Thornton’s family held a private memorial service for him Tuesday at a Hartford funeral home.

There's not a mention of race in this at all. OK, fine, but ...

Here's the first two grafs of today's AP read on the alleged stabber:

ATLANTA (AP) — Elias Abuelazam was about to board a plane for Israel when police arrested him in connection with a three-month stabbing spree that left five men dead, 13 others wounded and a Michigan city in terror. In the moments before the pudgy man in flip-flops and shorts was handcuffed, passengers saw him nervously talking on his cell phone, insisting he wasn’t violent.
    The Israeli citizen and legal U.S. resident was charged Thursday in just one case out of Flint, Mich., the battered industrial city where most of the stabbings occurred, but authorities said more charges are expected there and in Ohio and Virginia. At least 15 of the 18 victims were black but it was unclear whether the attacks were racially motivated.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

And since they were both written by the same AP writer and went through the same editors, you know any inconsistencies must have been intentional.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You're comparing a story that was written about the aftermath, and comparing it to a story talking about exactly what happened? Swing and a miss, again!

FWIW, the one Virginia victim who wasn't considered black was still a dark skinned Hispanic.

11. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Also, freep mentioned in one its stories that the town in Virginia where those attacks happened is like 93% white so he went to a lot of trouble to find dark-skinned victims.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Good point. The guy in Connecticut didn't have to go through much trouble to kill all those honkies.

Draft saved Draft deleted