1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michigan Serial Killer Arrested

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 12, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Isn't MLive.com the website for a bunch of Michigan newspapers?

Aren't they a mainstream, credible news source?

This is their local story, I'll bet a lot of people have read that report.

2. YankeeFan

There was plenty of speculation about motive. Supposedly it was in response to racism he encountered in the workplace.

But no evidence of racism has been found. He didn't report it to the company, the government, or the union.

The girlfriend hasn't produced the photos she claimed that she had seen.

And no one else has confirmed his claims of racism.

So, I think the question of motive is still open.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Oops, silly me.

I thought that this thread was about the more recent Michigan serial killer.

4. YankeeFan

It is.

Do you have anything to add?

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Just that this is the sort of stuff that used to be talked about in newsrooms, run down and confirmed before it was published.

Now, we make our sausage in public and throw it out the window before it's fully cooked for those who are hungry for it.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I thought it was odd that he was going to Israel, and find it somewhat surprising he was Catholic. As someone who covered this story, I never assumed reading his name that he was Mooslim because, well, he was trying to fly to Israel. Police I spoke with said his motive seemed to be race. Now it'll be interesting to see how it fits into it all.

Why you persist in trying to dig deeper into shit I'll never know. But it's not some nefarious plot full of bias like you always seem to passive aggressively suggest.

7. YankeeFan

Consistency would be nice. Then there wouldn't be any concerns about bias or why certain things are either included or left out of stories.

If it turns out that he's Catholic, that would be somewhat interesting. Though if it turns out to have nothing to due with his motive, is it necessary to report it?

People have argued the exact opposite here in the past about things like this.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Necessary? No. But it adds color. Hell, all that's really necessary is saying he got caught and people can relax.

Consistency? Do you want cookie cutter stories from here on out?

Sheesh. Yesterday you were bitching because a lying lawmaker's (redundant, I know) party affiliation wasn't given. In that case, under your argument, it wasn't necessary, since his party affiliation isn't why he was lying. Now you're complaining that an extra detail was added.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He's actually complaining that the world doesn't work the way he wants it to.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Since most targets fit this description...
    ... whether or not they were criminals is another stupid thing you've assumed on this thread...

11. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Freep is fine. Mlive is fine as well. After all, one of their biggest papers is based in Flint.

Draft saved Draft deleted