1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michigan/Nevada/SC Primaries Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackyJackBN, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Just want to bust in here to ask where everyone gets most of their political knowledge. Just curious.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'll give you the last point. As to the former, I just don't see a difference. If you do, we'll agree to disagree, but there's no need in torturing logic in the process.

I'm not about proffering the "Fenian sounds like Rush Limbaugh..." soundbite because you don't like Mike Huckabee.

3. JJ Threadmaker --

Here's the 527 site. (It's at the bottom of the TPM page)
    http://victimsvoice527.com

Here's something from Mr Google -- via TPM elsewhere - about the guy behind the ad.
    http://www.arktimes.com/blogs/arkansasblog/2007/12/dumond_goes_viral.aspx

4. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Fenian gets his from V.I. Lenin, the Devil and James Carville.

Not in that particular order.

5. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

WaPo, NYT, Seattle Times & PI, The Economist, Japan Times, blogs of all shapes and sizes, the occasional dose of talking heads (particularly on Sundays), googling the stuff that interests me, inside sources in various geographies...and, once in a while, this board.

6. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I'm not surprised by Carville and Lenin. But I wasn't aware that Bush and Fenian were on speaking terms.

7. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Ok that's a good one, Stallion. I'll give you that. ;D

Back to the topic, Huckabee reminds me of every fake preacher I've ever come across. He's only slightly more acceptable than Romney. If either win the nomination, I'll have to look elsewhere.

8. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Fenian FredKiller--

Thanks for doing the heavy lifting. But I'm still wondering, who is this guy Emis backing?

(From whence do I develop this cynicism?)

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Lifted that quote from the NH thread. I think that's the scariest part about the current GOP mindset. When guys like Huckabee and McCain "aren't conservative enough" for the GOP elite, then something is seriously wrong with that party.

Both men should be able to appeal to both conservatives and moderates. That should be seen as a good thing by the RNC, not a bad thing.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They think they can WIN with that mindset, too.

Boggles the mind.

They really think the broad electorate is largely comprised of sheep, and/or folks who can be snookered.
    And given their recent success in said snookering, guess it's no surprise they think that way.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

First, even on your own terms, how is it any different than the debate FB & Zeke have been having where each engages in the worst name calling they can think of - Obama got his policy out of the GOP playbook, and Hillary is Rove in a pantsuit?

But your whole view is faulty. You're looking at this like the parties are sports teams - "How can you say Arod isn't a real Yankee?". If you believe strongly in small government, why on earth should you support Huckabee, the heir to the compassionate (=big government) conservative mantle? If you believe that the 1st amendment refers not only to "Jesus in Piss" but to political speech; or that a fundamental responsibility of the government is to secure the borders, why would you support McCain?

Depending on what else matters to you, you may be willing to compromise, but isn't that a discussion one that they should be having?

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.